Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIY Dust collector motor selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

drushtant

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2020
SG
I'm a noob in electronics.
I'm making a dust collector for a machine shop to cleanup dust during grinding operation.
the operation lasts about a 2-3 hours so which type of motor should I use for continues 3 hour operation for a moderate suction.
I'm thinking of using 110V vacuum cleaner motor for this project (can this motor run for 3 hours straight?).
Snap3_hn7vjk.jpg

the suction pipe will be placed as shown in the image.

kindly suggest which type of motors should i use or look for while buying.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shop vac ?

Most are very noisy, but locating it in dog house with a 4 " thick absorbent ( fiberglas insulation batting ) lining, with a decent sized hole on one side opposite the vac's discharge can help a bit. Slowing it down a bit with a cheap speed control can help too.

A shop vac will work okay. It will have a limited life due to brush wear but is very compact, cheap, and easy to install. They are so cheap you can consider them disposable. It provides relatively high suction, so you can get good air flow through a smaller collection tube. Induction motors are much more suited for continuous operation. A shop saw dust collector will also do the job.

When collecting duct from grinding operations even ones which are "wet" - there is a coolant nozzle aimed at the work zone in the picture - there is a risk of metal fines fire. The risk can be reduced by using metal exhaust ducts long enough for sparks cool before they reach the collection device.

Collecting dusts from wet grinding also collects some of the grinding fluid, which can blind filters, and stick to the insides of your ducts (periodic cleaning is desirable).

Industrial Ventilation: A Manual of Recommended Practice for Design, published by American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH®) is a enormously useful reference when working with any sort of process dust engineering control. This book explains many of the details you need to understand to make any process exhaust system work.

Bench testing a shop vac powered local exhaust system is not a bad place to start, but it is unlikely that will be your final system.

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back