Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DIY structural foam (or honeycomb) panels 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis74

Automotive
Sep 28, 2007
US
I'm engineering a new boat floor for a customer's boat. He uses the boat very heavily and he's tired of replacing the flooring every few years and wants something a bit more permanent. I've discussed some FRP panels and some monocoque honeycomb skinned panels that would do well, but the cost of materials is rather prohibitive, as is supply when you're only buying two sheets. Here are some examples of things we found that might suit to give you an idea of where I'm going with this:

(specifically the 2016 material)

Is there some way I can make some structural panels myself here at the shop? Concerns are weight, rigidity, and oil/gas resistance. The panels will be sealed from all edges, but if microfissures develop in anything down the road I don't want a the possible hydrocarbon introduction to eat the foam. For the same fissuring reason, I don't want the foam/honeycomb to absorb water. UV won't be much of a concern since we are going to coat the entire floor with Rhino liner.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes I mentioned that in my first post. From personal experience, I found that the material will swell somewhat in MEK, but that gasoline and other solvents did not seem to bother it. When it was taken away from the solvent it quickly regained its original size. I also know from experience that hydraulic oil does not bother it,being a closed cell foam it only gets contaminated on the surface, but it is a pain in the petut to remove the oil for repair bonding.
I am attaching a link to their specification brochure.
Good luck with your project.
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back