DLO Insulation Rating Question - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco_HueHueHue

Electrical
Apr 8, 2018
CA
Hello,

I have a question about DLO insulation Rating.

I always used them before into 600V distribution. So i never cared about the insulation rating of 1000V vs 2000V.
But, into an installation, the 2kV insulation rating is required, but this is not a typical rated voltage for cables in Canada. It is more an American voltage standard from my experience browsing UL cable catalogues.

So when i look into a datasheet like this one:

Do you think CSA authorizes the use of DLO at 2kV in Canada instead of limited to 1kV?

My personel research led me to a yes.
CSA C22.2 No. 38 mentions a minimum insulation level of 1.14 mm for 2000V cable, and this one in the datasheet has 2mm, so i believe i have my answer.

Just curious to know what anybody else thinks about this?

Thank you!
Julien

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Call Texcan and order 2000 Volt rated and marked DLO cable.
Is the voltage 2000 Volts or is this a consultant's specification requirement?
By the way, Table 11 of the 2015 Edition of the CEC lists DLO voltage as 2000 Volts. Has there been a recent code change?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I did notice that Table 11 in the Code with a 2000V specification.
Last version of the Code mentions the same thing. But, that Table 11 is for "Portable" installation. I am not sure i can apply it for a Tray or Conduit or Other permanent installation.

Actually, I am kind of the consultant specifying a DLO cable that needs 2kV insulation haha.
But i am not sure we can use those products here and wanted other people opinion on the topic. Worst case, i guess it will need to be 5kV CSA as i know those exists.

Btw, i did call TEXCAN, and the person i spoke to doesn't know!

Thanks!

Did you notice table 12E?
CEC said:
Table 12E
Allowable ampacities for Type DLO cables in
a permanent installation in cable tray
(See Rules 4-006(6) and 4-040(4) and Tables 5D, 12B, and 12C.)

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Hi Waross,

Yes, i did notice it.
But, digging hard yesterday i think i answered myself. And i honestly think that CSA 2kV DLO cannot be used at 2kV in permanent installations, but only in portable installations in Canada.

I found article 4-040 that appears to be very clear that a DLO cable can be used for a permanent installation if it is 1/0 in size or bigger and TC rated. But it should be used in conformity to the conditions of TC cable (rule 12-2202) and as listed in Table 19 (which doesn't include specific DLO details, but only like RW-90 details).

This explains why the datasheet of the manufacturer mentions:
CSA 2kV DLO
CSA 1kV RW-90

It seems to all depend on the installation. I believe article 4-040 answers my question. I had never noticed/read this article before and i don't think many people did. In Canada, there is almost no reason to have a 2kV rated cable... so this specific detail is almost never used... I had the question here because of the rotor field voltage from an excitation system that is around that range of voltage. But it is really not typical. I never asked myself that question while working with 600V installations as 1kV is more than enough!

Coco

Coco:
DLO cable rated for 2 KV has been used in the mining, metal rolling, and transportation industries for better than 60 years (in Canada and elsewhere) ... for both permanent and temporary installations. You'll find a lot of it wherever there were fairly large DC machines being used to power process industries (since they invariably operate at < 1500 V), as the mechanical flexibility was the key issue.

Cable with higher voltage ratings will almost certainly contain silicon in some fashion: if the cable is used in proximity to a sliding electrical contact (think brush on commutator for DC, or brush on collector / slip ring for AC) then the higher-voltage cable is not advised due to the potential for off-gassing from the silicon-bearing cable material.

A little bit of silicon off-gassing goes a long way: to put it in perspective, 8 or 9 drops of food coloring in a swimming pool holding 13500 US Gallons is about the same level required to damage the film buildup on commutator or collector.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

Gr8blu:

Thank you for your input and providing less than 2kV cable application. With a little under 10 years experience, i haven't touched too many installations with DC motors. All i have seen is AC motors with VFDs nowadays :)

But, my main question in this topic was to clarify when we can use DLO at a 2kV rating. I think that 2kV is authorized on DLO cable only for what the Canadian Electrical Code considers as a portable feeder (as per Table 11), not a permanent one as described by article 4-040 (and Table 19).

For mining, i understand they have their specific electrical code. But i never worked with it, so they might have the right to use it at 2kV.

By the way, would you have any link/info on the off-gassing phenomenon? Never heard of that before and i am interested into reading on this.
And, for your info, for big synchronous generator, i have in the past supplied cables rated 5kV - 500MCM with EPR insulation / Neoprene jacket (so no PVC if i am not mistaken). Very expensive and specified product though :)

Silicon: Do not use RTV silicon anywhere around brushes. Thanks for the info on concentration, Gr8blu.
I would have a chat with the AHJ and ask for special permission.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back