Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I let it go? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

serspec

Mechanical
May 23, 2008
US
So here's the story in short.

I have been looking for a new job for a few months now. Luckily I am still employed but everyday I come to work with fingers crossed that I will not see the HR manager come into my office.

I understand with the way the economy is companies are being a bit pickier about who they bring on board. I just have noticed that in doing so, they are being very unprofessional about it.

The one interview went like this, I contacted the engineering manager after being referred to him by one of their suppliers. We set up an interview for 2:00 one day. I was supposed to meet with four people and when I got there I talked to the guy I had been in contact with for a few minutes, he showed me around, and when we got back he went to get the others. He comes back and says, "well they have a meeting here at 2:30 so we wont be able to do this today. We will get back to you in a week to reschedule." Now this interview was over 2 hours away and I had to take a day off my job to go. And he knew all of that and didn't apologize or anything.

Now the other one that has me angered went as follows. I interviewed and it went great. I got along great with the two I met with and I got asked for a second interview. That one went just as good. He said they would get back to me within a week with a decision. Two weeks go by with nothing. So I call and leave a voicemail and he calls back a few days later and said they got caught up with stuff and will be making the decision within a week. So I let another week and a half go by with nothing so I call again, leave voicemail, and a week later have heard nothing. I emailed him 8 days after calling and asked if they have made a decision and if he could get back to me. That was two weeks ago and have still heard nothing.

Like I said I understand companies are taking time to make sure they have the right person to hire but I feel this is just outright rude to ignore me after having two interviews. Should I send a "Thanks for not getting back to me" email or just let it go? Is this how most companies are? Just ignoring people when they try to follow up?

Sorry for the novel but I am a bit frustrated by this and needed to vent and ask if this is how it's going to be and just accept it or what.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agree with others, it is not uncommon no matter what economy we are in. So I would suggest you let it go and move on. Please also understand the guys you have been contacting with may also feel frustrated because obviously they are decision maker and they can get other's attention on your request. For example, I work with our global suppliers and also our own company's locations but in different countries or areas. I got requests from them all the time. Often times, I can't help them or answer them by myself (if I can, I will just do it within seconds because I like to be treated the same way), so I have discuss their requests with managers or other engineers which often time can take forever. Yes, even for pretty urgent bussiness within our own company, over here, it is like if you acted a bit, a tiny bit, active, the things or problems will become your babies to take care of and then you have beg everyone else to get their time or opinion. So coming back to my example, often times, I can't answer on a timely manner and even sometime stay silent which means I don't have anything for you, I can't help you and you have to go up management ladder to find help, etc, etc. I know this is no good, but admiting that I can't get it for you from other people, my manager or other groups manger doesn't look good also.

let it go. no point in getting butt hurt because someone didn't pick you. it'll happen many times in your career.

just like the rest of us.

I'm going through something very similar right now.

I had an interview on 4/8. I got a great vibe from them. I have all the job requirements. They said I could expect to hear from them in a couple of weeks or maybe sooner. They seemed excited about me. The last thing they asked me on my way out the door was my salary requirements. Things were going so well that I decided to shoot a bit high with my number. That might have been a bad idea. When I gave them my pay range, I could see a total 180 in their demeanor towards me. I've been in contact with them since then and I can't get a reply to save my life. It's 4/27 today. So it's been over 2 and a half weeks. I think I blew it. I'm bummed. Still, if they had eliminated me as a candidate due to my high price tag (or some other reason), I would appreciate some feedback about it. I've been running to the mail slot everyday to see if I got anything from them and I'm driving myself crazy waiting to hear good news about the job. I'm getting tired of thinking about it. I just want a "yes/no" answer already so I can move on with my life. I just might be one of those guys they are going to put on the shelf in case they can't find someone who is qualified to do the job and willing to do it for less than me. I don't know.

At any rate, to make a long story short, I feel your pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back