Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Do I need a business license to consult in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vato

Structural
Aug 10, 2007
US
I recently received a PE license in California (Civil) and I just got a small job designing the support system for some large interior signs. I don't see a ton of work coming our there yet, but do I need register my business in Cali for this job alone? Thanks, I'm still researching elsewhere, just hoping for that quick nugget of knowledge on this one.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that most if not all states require that if you practice under a business name, then you need a business license. In Florida, where I'm located, It's called a Certificate of Authorization.

If you practice under your personal name, you obviously don't need a business license, but you open yourself up to personal liability. I believe that liability insurance is offered only to businesses, not individuals.

Business licenses are issued by local authorities such as city or county. Corporate charters are issued by the state. Using a fictitious business name is not a factor. I doubt that contractors have a business license for every locale where they have a job but that doesn't mean it may not be required.

The county where I'm located does not issue business licenses.

In Washington, when I started practice som 30 years ago now, I had to get a State business license for my sole proprietorship. It gave me a UBI number that I have to this day.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

It sounds like your business is not located in CA.

I owned a small business in Oregon and some of my clients were located in Washington. I had a federal ID # and an Oregon State business license but I never needed a Washington State business license because the physical location of my company wasn't in Washington.

I still think you should contact the State of California to check on their requirements.

I used to have a business in California. The business license was from Los Angeles County. At the time there was also an out cry about the city of Los Angeles starting to enforce business license requirements on home-based businesses. Then they started to enforce zoning rules that did not allow businesses in residential areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back