Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do i need to conduct a fresh PQRT? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmoorthy

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
CA
I have an existing PQRT with Single layer of Electro Slag Strip Clad applied on a 30mm thick Carbon steel plate. The PQRT meet all the specification requirement.

Due to Clients requirement (Client does not accept single layer technique) we have to give 2 layers. Hence the WPS is prepared with 2 layers.

Qualification as per section IX ASME is called for in the specification.

Now refering to QW 258.1 (Table) against 410.38 change Multiple to single is shown in the table.

on refering to paragraph QW 410.38: In this paragraph " A change from multiple layer to single layer cladding/hardfacing, or vice versa" is given

Now the question is

1)which governs, is it the table or is it the paragraph?

2)That is do i need to qualify a fresh piece with two layers despite the fact that all the tests have passsed in single layer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bmoorthly,

1) it is the paragraph which governs, always. The table is but a short description of the paragraph.

2) yes you do need to requalify for double layer

Regards,

swig

Thanks a lotSwig

Is there a specified order of precedence given in Section IX (may be some where in forward or some where in general section), which states that paragraph governs or is it a common understanding.

I would concur, as well. Qualification of Welding Procedure Specifications follows the requirements for welding variables in QW-250. In QW-251.1 towards the end of that first introductory paragraph, “the Brief of Variables listed are for reference only”, and you need to refer to Article IV, Welding Data for specific information related to the variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back