Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Do new GDI engines have throttle plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon161

Mechanical
Dec 15, 2007
US
A friend pointed out that a GDI engine could run w/o a throttle plate like a diesel and be governed by the fuel/ignition controller. This would reduce backwork and improve fuel economy except at WOT.

Is anyone doing this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What commercial engines use the Miller cycle in turbocharged form?

High PR turbocharging implies a diesel application. I'm not aware of any production diesel engines that actually use the Miller cycle, although since it is only a camshaft profile change away, it's possible that it is present but not advertised as such.

TDI - despite much searching I still have yet to find the Schutting et al paper.
I am afraid I take a somewhat simplistic and less "scholarly" view of the Atkinson Cycle. I regard any engine which has a high CR (too high for "normal" use) combined with any strategy to reduce the combustion chamber pressure after compression as "Atkinson". Whether this strategy is LIVC, EIVC, automatic throttle plate control or any other method of limiting the pressure - it is still Atkinson.
I can see why you favour EIVC as being closest to "true" Atkinson but I think it still needs the CR component to be called Atkijnson.
Without the high CR component, LIVC and EIVC I think should be regarded as engine load control/reduced pumping loss strategies. I have found from personal experience that LIVC is more effective than EIVC.
The following is probably less "scholarly" than Schutting et al but I agree with their views - which I think are expressed very clearly.
I should point out that I have no connection with Mechadyne and I don't think that their variable valve strategies are very practical - but I like (and agree with) their explanations of the various part-load strategies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back