Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Do we need to have atex certified person for drilling ex proof JB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkanZTRK

Electrical
May 13, 2024
TR
Hello,

I am working as a E&I Quality Engineer in a refinery. in the our site, there are a few ex proof junction box which will be used for lighting fixture. Boxes need to be drilled to make cable connection which is required. My question is " would these boxes need to be drilled by atex certified personel or not ?

I shared the details of the box label.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=660dae7e-028f-4b72-b5e9-6940fe6f7250&file=WhatsApp_Image_2024-03-13_at_12.44.25_(2).jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are drilling an Exe enclosure you must guarantee the hole is completely orthogonal to the side wall so when the gland is fitted all faces touch uniformly. Best way to do this would be to use a pedestal drill. Any penetrations must be in accordance with the manufacturers guidance and certifications.
You can't modify an Exd enclosure without screwing the certification. Exd - no drill.
I'm thinking a CompEx certified guy would be needed to do this but regardless a CompEx certified person must inspect it and sign it off. A quality inspector is not necessarily a CompEx certified inspector so although you can check things as a work progress report you have to have the ticket to do this properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back