Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you draw on the 0 'zero' layer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodwig80

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2004
US
i dont. my co-workers do.

from the begginning when i learned CAD i was taught to never draw on the zero layer. i dont remember anymore why they told me not to. but i just dont.

is there a valid reason why u shouldnt draw on 0?

ps. damn i cant make a poll, owell.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a secret use for layer 0, in that my colleagues instantly start drawing on it, so it becomes a handy tool to see what changes/additions the noobs have made to a drawing!!
I think if you've used CAD long enough, you tend to try not to use 0 because of it's special properties (a little like the defpoints layer). I tend to use it to draw new objects on, then change their properties to other layers. Then when I've finished, I switch everything off but layer 0 to check if I missed anything.
I think it also depends on the type of drawing you do - mainly new drawings/sketches or working on established drawings/projects, or creating x-refs and blocks for use by colleagues?

i am a little confused on the blockmaking while in zero.

so what you guys are saying is:
-lets say a block contains objects from 10 diferent layers.
-make Zero current layer
-make block

?is that correct?

what abuot inserting those blocks. insert them while being current on the Zero layer?

that's what i gather... am i correct?

Layer 0 was intended for the creation of blocks - if you draw a collection of lines representing an object (like a desk) on this layer, what ever layer it is inserted onto it gains that layers attributes i.e colour, linetype etc. but when you explode it, it goes back to 0. It also works when you isolate the layer 'desk' and, it doesn't vanish. For things like isolating valves (you know, the bow-tie looking symbol) you need only create one block on 0 then when you insert it on layer 'cold-water' it does the above, and does so whatever layer you insert it onto, like 'hotwater'. I treat layer 0 as a temp layer, or if i'm lazy just draw on it! Its all about why you want/need it on a certain layer, and the justification will decide for you...

In my opinion the layer 0 should only be used for inserting xrefs and say the title block, why glog your drawing up with any more layers like xrefs if you want to turn the xref off then unload it. I recently wrote a standard layer pull down and added a title block option as the users liked to know what layer it should go on.....funily enough it set the layer to zero, it made them feel a bit more comfortable. as someone said before the layer should also be used for creating blocks so that when the block is inserted it will be put onto the current layer. Also someone mentioned about standard layers for certain items, I have used a coded layer name before but found that a really simple name eg "company-steel-elv" for seelwork elevation or "company-steel-hid" for steel hidden has had some great feedback from clients and fabricators etc because they know exactly what to turn off/on if required. Hope that helps.

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back