Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do You Include ALL NUTS and BOLTS in Your Assemblies? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleJess

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2006
US
I am using SolidWorks 2006. I try my hardest to use SolidWorks properly, so that I can take advantage of all of its automated functions. Therefore, I have a tendency to include all nuts, bots, washers, etc. in my assemblies, so that I do not have to overide any quantities in my BOMs. I try not to overide the BOMs because I loose connectivity (that just doesn't sit well with me). Am I just being anal? What do you folks do to address this issue? Is there a better way to trick the BOM, other than overiding the QTY. directly? Thank you very much.

I am eager to read any thoughts or comments on this topic!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shaggy18VW,

My question about Configuration Tables a week ago was about this precise problem. I had to change the size of each of my 160+ fastener instances. I had anticipated this somewhat.

I tried installing each fastener set as a subassembly, and I inserted an exploded BOM on the drawing. I was not happy with the results. Dissolving around eighty subassemblies is practically as messy as installing each fastener individually, especially when you have a lot of component patterns to update.

When I had to resize everything, I managed it from the design table.

JHG

drawoh,

I agree with your statements. This method doesn't make dealing with the fasteners any easier and with that many fasteners dissolving will take a while. The patterns should be created after dissolving.

Proper planning and the use of design tables are the way to go.

Also, a macro could be created to dissolve multi-selected subassemblies. That would probably be kinda slick.

-Shaggy

I design mostly one off prototypes. I will occasionally insert screws for appearance sake on assemblies. OTOH, I use the Hole Series Wizard more and more. I just don't bother to put in the fasteners.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2005 SP 4.0 (reluctant to change)
Nvidia Quadro FX 1000
AMD Athalon 1.8 GHz 2 Gig RAM

The cost of the fasteners is insignificant compared to the cost of the assembly, so we do not track them via BOM.

The scale of our exploded parts book illustrations generally means the fasteners are tiny dots, so having them there doesn't add anything either.

The model overhead of having those mates doesn't make it worth it, generally.

There are always exceptions (such as when we're concerned with close approach clearances).

Reading through these answers brings up a related question in my mind, but a little off topic concerning the original post. It seems that everyone here is using the Solidworks drawing database as their bill of materials. I understand why Solidworks has to do this to maitain its own BOM for assemblies etc., but does this mean that the master BOMs and MRP/ERP systems are a thing of the past.

I'm just starting with Solidworks and am curious.

Thanks,
-Mike

Absolutely not! A BOM is just that ... a list of parts. The information they contain can be used to populate an MRP/ERP system. An MRP system needs much more information than a list of parts.

However a Top Level assy with an Indented BOM can be used to form the basis of a home-made parts tracking system. I usually create a separate TL drawing for just that purpose because my company doesn't have MRP.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I'm use to using Access for a BOM database, separate from SW. It can be accessed just about anywhere.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

CorBlimeyLimey and ctopher,

That's what I thought. There are many more things that a BOM needs to do like keeping track of what's in stock, make or buy parts, phantom parts, shop work orders, and so on, that suggests to me that there should be an accounting/mfg BOM too. The small company I work at now plans on using only the Solidworks BOM however.

Thanks for the help.

-Mike

mrMikee,

MRP BOMs should be generated from engineering parts lists. SolidWorks is an efficient tool for generating engineering parts lists.

The real trick is getting engineering, manufacturing and purchasing to agree on a data format, so that we can copy and paste information back and forth.

A major advantage of SolidWorks and its BOM is that standard hardware is always called up exactly the same way in enginerring parts lists. There should be no more of MRP having an entry for CAP SCR HEX SOCKET 1/4X1-1/2 and and entry for HEX SOCKET CAP SCREW 1/4-=20UNC X 1.500 and another entry for HSCS .250X1.500, etc.

JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back