Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you know - resources for new tire concept? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabbit

Computer
Feb 22, 2012
US
Hello, first post from a new member here,…please don’t crucify me if I’m in the wrong place for this topic :)

I have conceptualized and begun to craft a new tire concept I believe will benefit the automotive industry and all consumers alike. I am requesting your assistance to identify appropriate engineering and design firms to help me finalize the details, compounds, calculations, designs, mechanics, drawings, etc of this new concept. I am not an automotive or mechanical engineer (I'm a computer engineer and inventor) and am not certain how to proceed. Will you please provide design engineering companies who have core competencies in this industry and with these needs? Also, will you please advise of the “industry best practice process” to bring a new tire concept to market (steps from concept to reality)? The more information you can offer the better.

I sincerely thank you in advance for your support and direction.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, if this involves rubber, you just can't avoid the tire manufacturers. They are HUGE consumers of rubber - to the point where the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) was so dominated by the tire manufacturers that the other manufactuers of rubber products broke off and formed their own organization. They couldn't even take the name with them.

The "industry best practice process" are all proprietary within each manufacturer. I'm assuming your idea will compete against the current paradigm. That is a tough hill to climb.

If you want I would be happy to talk to you about it - confidentially, of course.

You can contact me through my web site:

Hire a patent firm and get a patent search done. If your idea has any merit, someone will have to build some of these for durability, traction, replacement intermix, foreseeable misuse, cost, and manufacturability tests. If you don't have the stomach for this, find something else to create (and keep your daya job).

BTW: the notion of making roads out of rubber and tires out of asphalt and concrete has already been taken...

CapriRacer, thank you for your excellent feedback, link to your site and offer to speak confidentially - great information and I will likely contact you. Most appreciated.

Cibachrome, thanks for the advice to contact a patent atty, I am familiar with the process and currently interviewing. I am aware of rubberized roads - most here in Arizona use them, thanks.

Does anyone have relationships with reputable, honest companies that perform design and build for tire prototypes? If so, will you please share their names? Thank you!

You might try Smithers Scientific Services or Standards Testing Labs, but I think their expertise is more into the testing and analysis arena. However, they have many folks on staff that have a wealth of tire design experience.

Cibachrome and CapriRacer, I genuinely appreciate the leads you thoughtfully provided, that is exactly what I am looking for. As you can probably understand, I am concerned about sharing the concept and design with a leading tire manufacturer (particularly one of the "big dogs" with lots of money and lawyers) who may "borrow" the idea for their own. Thinking using an independent design, test & prototype company may improve protection of the concept and design. I will definitely contact Smithers and Standards this week.

Has anyone else been through a similar process and would you be willing to share your success criteria and pitfalls? The more information I have, the more success I believe the endeavor will have and you are helping it get there.

Again, I truly appreciate all the support and information from you as professionals in this field!

Greg, thanks for the feedback, that is good news. Do you (or anyone) know the names of the tire companies that he approached to do his design, test and manufacturing?

I am familiar with the big manufacturers like Goodyear, Michelin, Firestone, etc,....looking more for the proprietary design and testing shops for specialized tire products.

Sabbit,

It would be educational for those who are following the thread to learn about your conversations with whoever it is you contacted. What did they advise you to do? Where did they advise you to go? That way we have your experience to help us guide others.

CapriRacer, I will definitely post my findings once I make contact with the appropriate folks. I am currently in the process of acquiring patents so my conversations with design and engineering firms are somewhat limited - I have been reluctant to contact known manufacturers fearing they may borrow my ideas until they are protected. Once I get traction I will post successes and challenges. Thanks for your feedback and recommendation - I agree with both.

In the mean-time, if anyone should have other recommendations on who to contact to help bring a new product concept to market, I would be very appreciative.

If your ideas are really good, they will borrow them anyway, then test your resolve to pursue legal action. You will need a partner with deep pockets.

By all means take the patents, but also be first to market and also have a strategy to finance the patent defence when they blatantly breach and say, so what do you think you can do about it, or word/actions to that effect.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back