Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doble F6150/ProTest Test Plans 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle2022

Electrical
Jan 26, 2005
US
We have used Pulsar for several years, and we just recently purchased a Doble F6150. Our techs are familiar with the Doble lineup so I am confident that they will be able to run with this. My problem is the creation of test plans. I understand the macros as they are similar to those of the Omicron, but do pre-exisiting test plans exist somewhere? I have a problem with re-creating plans that I know exist somewhere (maybe that is laziness). I understand that the User-Group distributes test plans, but where? I found a few downloadable plans on the Doble website, but nothing for SEL relays.

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Kyle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Suspected is one of two situations. First, where is the software that should have been shipped with the gear? Second, no offense is meant, but has someone in your organization contacted Doble in MA or through their/your local rep? The exact same questions would apply to higher-level M-A or Omi equipment.

What happened when you called Schweitzer locally or at ares code 509?

We have the ProTest software that came with the unit. It does not have pre-existing plans for every relay we need to test. We can develop these, and that is not a huge problem; I simply wanted to know if I was re-inventing the wheel.

Again—not meaning to be antagonistic, but is it possible that your procurement folks have not annual user-group fees? {Hopefully your/their rep mentioned 6150s are useless without a “computer.”}

No, you're not being antagonistic, I just think you may be misunderstanding my question, and maybe that is my fault. We are fully aware that 6150s are useless without a computer. Every tech we have carries a laptop.

We do in fact have annual user-group fees, and it is likely I should be presenting this question to the fine folks at Doble. I just never seem to get great customer support from them. We have multitudes of other doble equipment (M4000, TDR9000, etc.). I just thought there might be some techs out there that have used these units on a daily basis, and have some valuable input.

Thanks
-Kyle

Kyle, pardon me for being a little thickheaded. So much machine-control and configuration software to deal with clouds basic issues. My primary use of F2K(+/F6K now) gear is dated, and my cohort is the one with the patience to deal with ProTest implementation.

It’ll take some phone calls, but I would go to the SEL applications-support folks. With increasingly complex boxes [er, test sets AND relays] on either end of the test leads, the task gets daunting on a daily basis.

Aside, there are growing numbers trapped under fluorescent lights that want to reduce anything plugged into a PC port as an {increasingly trivial} peripheral device—effectivley losing sight of the real goal in coming to work in the first place. I realize this does not deal on a right-here/right-now basis, but besides the SEL bullpen, there are some good (annual) relay schools dealing with simple and complex testing—typically with brand-specific tracks.

I too am looking for macros for the Doble 6150. Most of the macros I have, I borrowed from other Techs from previous jobs that my company was involved in, and some I just had to make from scratch. If I have any macros that you would like to use I would gladly share.

Sparky-

I've spent the last few days creating a fully functional test plan for the SEL 387 transformer differential relay and 487B bus differential relay. Let me know if you require these relays. I am currently starting to create some for generator protection relays (300G, M-3425A, G60, etc.). Let me know if you have any you would like to share.

Kyle

Yeah Kyle2022 i would be happy to have the SEL 387 and 487 test plans if you don`t mind.Has anyone ever dealt with the REF545 ABB relays if so how did you find them,is there an easy way to understand them,especially the software its driving me nuts.

I Have used the 6150 and have tested nearly every type of SEL relay out there, Unfortunatley I can't just give you macros as my company has paid me to develop them and by all rights, the macros belong to them. I can however give you pointers on any specifics you may have, or info on how to run the tests and such.

Sorry if this is no help, but it is all I can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back