Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document Control Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sg20

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2005
US
Can anyone assist me in finding a software that can handle CAD files as well as office documents for all departments in the company. I used Smarteam before but as far as ease of setup, are there any other sofwares in the market that can provide file managements and giving all departments the ability to view the files. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have SolidWorks and AutoCAD and have found that PDMWorks Workgroup is a fairly simple system to setup and administer. There are several types of client. The SolidWorks add-in which allows the check in of SolidWorks files. PDMWorks Workgroup Contributor, which allow check in of non SolidWorks files. The Web Portal allows users around the business to access any document that you want them to see. There is also an API to allow custom integrations. Having said all that, if you use other 3D CAD systems instead or as well as SolidWorks, PDMWorks Enterprise may be what you need. This is a product that SolidWorks have recently purchased (previously called Conisio). Due to increasing requirements we are currently migrating from PDM Workgroup to Enterprise. Have a look on the Web. There is plenty of info about these two products. If I can help in any way, let me know.

Kind regards.

sg20,

Years ago I took a class for a program called AutoEDMS which is put out by AEC Software . I heard recently that they were working on the code to make it work with SolidWorks files but I could not tell you if they completed that yet. When I took their class (10 years ago) it seemed to me to be a good user interface that could be customized for your specific needs. I can't tell you much more but I think it's worth a look.

Dblcrona

I think PDMWorks will do the job for me, I also like the way ACS handle ECO, and routing processes, etc. I'll have to look further into that. Thanks for your help.

sg20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back