Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document Managment System 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2007
US
We're a small company and looking for an inexpensive document management system. I looked at and they have some references to "Open Source" packages.

Has anyone ever used:

- Alfresco - Archivista - KnowledgeTree - LogicalDOC - Main//Pyrus DMS - Nuxeo - OpenKM - Quotero

Regards,
Dan Marr

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

forum781
might be a better place to inquire.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

DM2

If you discover a simple doc mngmt system please advise! Alas most systems are complex. I can fwd you a good procedure if you are interested - but applies to API O & G industry..

David

Dave Luetchford, C.Eng; P.E. Texas

David,
I'd love to see your procedure. We provide Fire & Gas systems for the Oil & Gas market, which is why I'm trying to find a better method of handling things.

We also have a massive technical library with Codes & Standards, as well as manuals on the equipment. Currently I've used Adobe Acrobat to link them, as I'm not good with HTML. I'm thinking about changing that to HTML.

Because we do a lot of work with E&C firms, drawing document control is a hassle. I get a bit frustrated with our customers who require us to use their document control system to post drawings, only to have them call and ask for drawing, data sheet, or manual that's already been posted to their site. It seems that they find their system too cumbersome to use and it's easier to just ask us to send the info via e-mail.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Dan Marr

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

Dear David,

could you pls send me the procedure to "lucksravi@rediffmail.com" ?

We use DocumentLite for document management. It is free software with open source.

The documents could be in any paper format, which can be transformed into electronic files. It has a system for handling email and many interesting new features.

Dan

I recommend you to review "projectools".

Note spelling "one t"

Modec use it and was recommended again to me twice this past few mos..

It is web based and you pay per user per mo..So you can have just a couple ofusers- I recall it was pretty low cost and pre-canned..

Dave

DRL,Texas

Thanks Dave,

I'll give it a look and see about the costs.

Regards,
Dan Marr

Hi,

I would recommand Alfresco...

Having worked a time with Filenet Document Management, I recently had a look at Alfresco and was really suprised about the maturity of this Open Source ECM Tool.
Quite simple to set-up (I did it in a few minutes on my laptop) and it is very intuitive on the first steps.
And when you go deeper, you realize if brings very powerfull functionalities.

Just have a look, it's free, and really worth the few hours you will spend to discover it.

Babynus
Administrator of

I would recommend Alfresco. It is a step up from EMC' Documentum. You can go with either the free community or the pay entreprise.
I am a mech eng and was able to install the free version on a server which was used on a oil/gas project for over a year without any issues. The ability to customise to suit your purpose is fantastic. All the major companies that I work for have to pay get get anything customized.
As noted above, it is easy to install (you can actually install it as a portable app on a memory stick).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back