Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documentation for v5R10 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

99pepe

Dec 20, 2002
CA
I'm a new user of Catia..
does anybody know where a can find information to how to use catia ..?????
somebody know if I can find the tutorial book on the internet??
or another book similar...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You actually don't have to install the online help (but I recommend it). Cd 4 in the online documentation cd-box contains pdf-documents for each module of Catia V5.

Right, but I don't think that the tutorials in the .pdf manuals are hyperlinked to the appropriate sample models available when the documentation is 'online' (on the workstation).
=================================
Akesson:
Did you actually get a pdf disk with your r10 install? I can't find any in my cd box. My .pdfs are from the R8 installation.

Nickeaston:
Yes you're right the pdf manuals have no links to any sample models. They are just manuals. An adavantage is that every module (Part Design for an exampale) is a separate document, so it's much easier print the pdf's then the online documentation.

I have'nt looked that much on the pdf manuals but I assumed they where updated for R10 since I got it with the R10 Online documentation. Maybe we don't get the same cd's? For R9 I got a 3 cd box where cd nr 3 is the pdf manuals and as I said in an earlier post, for R10 there is a 4 cd box where cd nr 4 is the pdf manuals.

I need to check my R10 source box but it's in another state at the moment.

When I look at my R8 .pdf files which are on my HD, the links for the tutorial model files appear to point to the cd drive...

In any event, I spent a lot of time and paper trying to get the html documentation to print correctly before I even realized that there were .pdf manuals which print perfectly...so I have been promoting the CATIA documentation package including the .pdfs whenever anyone asks about CATIA training materials. And asking Eric N. and other insiders why IBM doesn't publish the manuals online (a trivial task for an outfit like IBM/DS).

As a veteran of V2, V3, and V4, the V5 documentation is like a breath of fresh air to me after dealing with the several shelf feet and the sucky cd of V4 documentation...

hi,

Yes, The V5 online DOC is a very nice one, friendly, usefull and with many links. I started V5 only with the DOC.

The difference I see from V4 DOC is that V4 DOC is not friendly, not very easy to use, doesn't have link to any catia file (as I can remember), but it gives you a really nice definition of geometric element (reflect curve...). We have with that V4 DOC a nice tool to understand the element itself, but not the way to use the function.

In V5 DOC(as in CATIA V5), we don't really know what we have :

the circle ,in V4 is a 2 arc (deg 9) curve. In V5 the circle, as DS wants to show it, is a closed curve. That is the geometric definition, and it sounds better than the V4 one... BUT when you do a surface extrude you do see 2 lines within the surface (using a circle in 3d or a sketch). This means that the circle is not a closed curve. A circle in V5 is a trimmed curve !

We can find lots of information on NURBS curves not on NURPS curves... what is that non rational nurbs curve ? anyone can explain ?

What about the second sketch of the HOLE feature ? DS says we dont need to use it... Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back