Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does a pocket require a broken-out section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2017
US
When dimensioning visible lines of a pocket, should I create a broken-out section around the feature?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use the depth symbol is the bottom of the pocket is flat.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Only if you cannot completely describe the geometry in the plan view of said pocket. The depth symbol works well for simple pockets. A section view removes all doubt, but for simple pockets, I don't think there is any, when the pocket is a basic profile extruded straight without draft.

Thanks MadMango and JNieman.

Yes, I have a plan view of an irregularly-shaped flat-bottomed pocket without draft.

Wondering about creating a broken-out section around the feature (i.e. using a spline and showing hatch lines). Somewhere in the back of my mind I feel that I shouldn't dimension a line (even a visible line) that is not a part edge, without showing material x-section. Am I over-thinking it?

What do you need to dimension that isn't a part edge?

As others have stated, if the bottom is flat, just dimension the profile with a depth callout. I do parts with milled pockets frequently, and I only add section views if the bottom of the pocket needs special attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back