Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does aeration of a vinyl acetate based emulsion containing carbon fibers reduce LDV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamoffathoo

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2008
CA
thread135-433434

At our plant we use a leak sealing agent comprising carbon fibers (.007 x .1) mm dia/length in DUR-O-SET A-802 emulsion for sealing minor leaks from pinholes (2 mm dia) in pipe. My question is: would aeration while diluting in water reduce the LDV (Lowest Deposition Velocity) of the carbon fibers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suppose only experimenting with aerating different concentrations of this emulsion can determine whether aeration can create a temporary density less than water. I was hoping someone in industry knows whether this has a chance of working. The literature on slurry operation advises an LDV of approximately 1 m/s for particulate in water but this emulsion really foams up when air is entrained when diluting with a spray of water.

Latexman

I heard back from the manufacturer who advised that the product will only foam a minor amount due to the stabilization package keeping the polymer dispersed. However, if 0.5 - 1.0% ammonium lauryl sulfate (ALS) or sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) type froth aids are added, the foaming will be increased significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back