Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does Anyone know what S. R. means (not sherical radius)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcadman2u

Aerospace
Dec 4, 2002
US
I have a drawing that is calling out S. R. and it does not refer to a sherical radius. It is on a Test Enable switch which is on a Thrust Reverse assy.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jerry Eden

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mrcadman2u...

Not much background info to go-on here. Is there a reason You are sparing details, such as...

What company? What Acft? What context?
What drafting system? Company? MIL-STD-100 (or) ASME Y14.100?
Have You checked the Abbreviation document?
IF an old drawing... are You sure it REALLY says "S.R."... not too bluurrry to be something different?
Is there a -1 [flight-crew] manual available? IT WILL explain this switch nomenclature.. dumb pilots need to know...

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

MintJulep,
The Company, Aircraft, context, Drafting system, etc is not relevant. I have been in this business for over 30 years and am an a consultanting Sr. Design Engineer. I have looked through all documentation to try and find out the meaning without success.I am attaching an env dwg of the part. I have remove any proprietary info.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9c4959b3-1fc1-4d2c-be92-d6576012976c&file=TestEnableSwitchRef.pdf
Surface relief? As if it was indented. Station reference? Like the Station Zero reference would be 1" to the left in your sketch. I still think Spherical Radius sounds most plausible. (and check the p on your keyboard:)

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

lisa247,

The SR is just an abreviation for Senior Design Engineer. I have over 30 years experience in aerospace, aircraft, and spacecraft. I am 63 so I guess I am SR citizen also.

Jerry

I just want to thank everyone for their thoughts on the problem. And for monkeydog I do not think it is a sperical radius because it is pointing to a flat surface. Typically it is called out as SR 1.00 and not S.R. 1.00. It could be a typo and a geometry error. All of the answers were things that I did not think of. I guess I will have to ask the company that forwarded us the drawing.

Thanks to all again. If you think of anything else just let me know.

Jerry

mrcadman2u,

In your pictorial, I do not see a cross-section where a spherical radius would be present. I see what you would expect to see on the part regardless of the what it looks like in inside the edge.

But what do I know, I have not been in the business as long as you have.

I agree with rb1957 here. It might have been a late addition that didn't show up in the drawing. If this is a pin that slides across a survace on that face before engaging in a hole it might have been added after its need was discovered. Of ir it is indented with a spherical radius the face would be flat.

What kind of TR is this on? We have a lot of them in our shop and I could go look and see if this was the case.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

if it is a sph rad, of 1", it would be very noticable (on a pin dia <0.5") ... noticing that the shoulder rad isn't dim'ned, maybe the part is not pictorially correct ??

The arrow head would be pointing to the concave of the spherical radius, think of a 2 inch ball up against a plunger. You would not see the 1 inch spherical radius as drawn. You need a cross-section to see it, or an iso drawing.

I did a search for an ESC10YE, this is an electrical connector for jet engine, or high temp, hi vibration environments.

The SR could be a local term for socket, recepticle or something like that.

There are all sorts of local names used by people in the trade for parts like this. Especially when you start mixing and matching inserts and shells.

You should be able to find all you need from this data sheet and the mil specs though.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2d437790-16c6-490e-88a5-160566910f6d&file=esc10ye.pdf
Maybe ask the source? They should know better than any of us, and better to have a clarification memo than a printout of this thread in your files if the **** hits the fan.

That looks like it could be a truncated sphere, instead of chamfer at the corner, but you'd still need a center mark if it was a spherical surface. Look at how the mating surface is spec'd.

Thanks very much too all. I did not think this would get that much attention. The answers are great and helps to have more ideas from everyone. This particular part is from an SCD and has no cross section view, just a top and front. We are trying to finalize a RFQ and we just did not get enough info to get a clearer picture of what this part really looks like. There are several parts and all are in the same shape as this one. Monkeydog came up with an idea I certainly did not think of especially because I do not have a cross section. Maybe it does mean spherical radius if there is concave radius which you cannot see in the view.
This has been a great thread and wish to again thank everyone for there help.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back