Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does anyone knows where I can find

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnvs

Chemical
Nov 19, 2001
US
Does anyone knows where I can find some information on Liquid-Ejector design? I found some information about Steam-ejectors, but liquid...it's another story!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mnvs, Contact either Penberthy or Schutte/Koerting. They design and manufacture ejectors (motive fluid gas) and eductors (motive fluid liquid). These things are also known as "jet pumps".

Have fun!

saxon

Saxon,

Thanks for your quick answer but I'm not interested in defining some particular jet but rather understand how they work and what parameters are used in design of such equipment.
My concern is primarily related with troubleshooting and re-use of some jets in other conditions than the original project condictions so, what I need is some good info about this kind of equipment...if someone can help me I appreciate.

Thanks

mnvs, As I mentioned earlier, contact either Penberthy, or Ametek's Schutte & Koerting division and request their Engineering and Technical manuals on ejectors and eductors. These will give you the basics on design, applications, and operations. Fundamentally, these things are nothing more than special application venturi/nozzle combinations and follow the same physics. In order to go into the actual details of the physics would require full text books and a course on Fluid Dynamics and Thermo Dynamics. Which I don't have the time to write.

If you already own some, contact the manufacturer rep's. They have they knowledge and expertise to respec. the units for new applications. In some applications, they may fit in without modifications, in others, all that may be required is a simple nozzle change out. But, contact the Rep's!

Have fun!
saxon

Although there are several good replies, I have a question and perhaps a comment on the issue. From your post I assume you are referring to ejectors which use a liquid motive fluid to create a vacuum to draw in gases or other liquids. These are called liquid eductors. Commercial units are usually designed based on water as the motive fluid. If the motive fluid is not water and its specific gravity is different from water, the eductor performance will depart from the manufacturers rating. I have used these for a variety of purposes. The motive fluid has been a slip stream from a tank circulation used to withdraw vapours released in a downstream tank. We have used them in gas / liquid reactors to produce microdispersion of the gas by cavitation thus increasing the interfacial area.
A good source to look at is

If you're interested, I can recommend several academic publications on the topic. You're right, the information is somewhat sparse.
Rob Broekhuis - broekhrr@apci.com

u'll find detaled information & design in "bahra fluid engineering" publications...they have an old book named "proceedjngs of the 2nd symposium on jet pumps & ejectors and gas lift techniques" printed by cambridge in 1975...u'll find little information but good in perry's handbook 7th edition section 10-56 &10-57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back