Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone knows why I cannot mirror a Swept Boss/Base in

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavenlySolid

Electrical
Dec 1, 2005
PR
Does anyone knows why I cannot mirror a Swept Boss/Base in the Front Plane, I can do it easily for the Top and Right plane but not for the Front Plane (nothing comes out)

I wish I new how to post Bitmaps and JPG in this forum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A photo would not be needed I just realized that I cannot mirror ANY SWEPT shape, is this a Bug in SW2004? I can do it in the other planes for not the FRONT.

Why is this?

More details (or picture or file) needed!

1) Is this a 2D or 3D sweep?
2) When you cannot mirror using the Front plane, which plane is the sweep path drawn on?
3) How is the sweep profile oriented to the path and front plane?

[cheers]

Just a guess: are you trying to mirror a sweep feature, but the mirror of the original does not contact the part? You may have to choose "bodies to mirror" rather than "features to mirror".

From that image, it looks like using the Front Plane should work for the mirror.

What is the purpose of Plane1?

What happens if you select the body instead of the feature and de-select the Merge option?

If you can, post the file for review. See faq559-1177 for details.

[cheers]

On that part, I can mirror with the right plane. I couldn't mirror with the top plane because it is invisible or something... the mirror is in the feature tree, but you can't see it.

SW07 SP2.0

Flores

CorBlimeyLimey / Flores

“You cannot mirror a feature or body if the sweep path is drawn on the plane you are using as the mirror ... unless the sweep profile is non-symmetrical.”

Then which options do we have if we need to mirror Flores drawings in the right plane?

Instead of mirroring features, try mirroring bodies with the Merge option unselected. Also try offsetting the sweep profile from the sweep path and use a different shape profile.
That may help show what is happening.

A bug is when something should happen but doesn't, or when something shouldn't happen but does.

I agree the "invisible" feature mirror is confusing and should not be shown in the FM tree. So I guess that the invisible feature could be seen as a bug, even though SW is just doing what it is told to do.

[cheers]

The part was intentionally made non-symetrical, but here it is with more-exagerated angles:

The file has 3 configurations, one for each plane used for mirroring. Again, you will see that 2 planes will let you mirror, and the other doesn't.

On a part this simple, it would be best to draw the complete path in a sketch instead of drawing half and mirroring it.

SW07 SP2.0

Flores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back