Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone travel A LOT for work? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroUB

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2003
US
Well, I may be getting a new job. It's for a field service engineer and would be so much more money than I'm getting now that it's making my head spin.

The catch is, it would be 100% travel. If there isn't somewhere to go then I can do what I want and still get paid 40hrs a week. 90% of the time though, there would be somewhere to go and plenty of OT (I would actually be paid hourly). MOST of the time I would fly back on Friday and head back out Sunday night. I’m figuring it would be at least 40-45 round trips a year to places all over the country maybe some outside the country. Most lasting a week and sometimes up to a few weeks. I'm 27, don’t have a gf anymore, didn't buy a house yet and really have nothing holding me down at all. So I think it would be the perfect time to try something like this and rake in some crazy money.

Does anyone travel like this or at least 50-75 % of the time? What do you think about it? Any info/suggestions you think would be interesting/useful that you wouldn't think about till you do it? They would give me a new laptop but I was also thinking I should get a portable GPS navigation unit for getting around once I fly in (to find my way to the site) and an IPOD that I can put video and songs on for the airports and flights.

Any input/insight/suggestions/stories from those of you who have ever had something like this?

Thanks
aero

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did the field service thing for about 2 years when I was about the same age.

It is a good way to gain a bunch of experience, both professional and life. Good money, as you note.

Plenty of frequent flyer miles.

It is also a pain in the ass. You are unable to make personal committments. You will eventually wake up in some generic hotel room and say "where the f&^$ am I".

Much depends on what you will really be doing, how much support you get get from the home office, how much you need support from the home office, and your ability.

I frequently arrived at a plant making a product that I had zero experience with or knowledge of to be told "Boy am I glad you're here. Your company says you are the best expert in our product." It is good to have a good poker face and be a quick study.

You will be amazed at how little prominent companies actually know about making their product.

It can be fun. It can be painful.

As long as you go in with the understanding that it is not a long-term career (although some guys just love it and do it forever), I think it is worth the pain for the bucks and experience.

aero,
MintJulep makes good points. I also did the traveling thing for a number of years where I was on the road at least three weeks out of every month....leave Sunday, home Friday night.It does get old after a while. Good time to fortify your 401K, etc..
I wouldn't bother with a GPS, get a decent mapping program and you should be fine, get one that lists hotels and stuff. Regarding the laptop itself, get your own, that way you won't run afoul of company use police and the LAN nazis. Some of the restrictions that can get thrown at you are unreal.
All things considered, go for it. It's a big world, lot's to see and do. Make the most of it.
Regards,
RLS

I agree with both above, have not traveled like you or the other guys, but enough to suggest you get the company to give you a good cell phone also. Frequent miles, frequent hotels, rental cars. IPOD is good. Your own laptop so you can load what you want on it. You may end up loading a computer program for work that your company doesnt recongnize but if it helps you do it.

The laptop suggestion is something I didn't think about. I'll look into that, I didn't know they get funny about what you do with or put on the laptop...I'll probably just get my own then. They actually do also provide a cell phone although I am in the middle of a two year contract on my own right now and in a family plan with my brother. So I'll have to look more into that.

Did anyone ever have a problem taking everything they need for a week away as just carry-on? It would be nice to not have to check baggage for sure.

I thought they loosened up the restrictions on things like Leatherman tools about a year ago. I believe nail clippers and such are now allowed but I haven't had the opportunity to test it. What a sad society we live in if a plane can be commandeered by a nut with a nail file.

Sorry about the off topic. I'm currently going through a life transition and your position sounds intreging, aeroUB. Can you be specific about the product/service? I'm wondering if there is a current demand for field engineers.

For carry-on and checked bags, it is best to check the TSA website, and if you think you might be questioned on an item, take a copy of the website with you. But those guys should error on the side of security/safety.

For me it seems a week's worth of stuff can be bulky if I decide I want an extra pair of jeans and tennis shoes (assuming you need to wear business attire). Also, if you are part of the last group of people boarding the plane, you may have trouble finding a place to put your bags.

aero,
Regarding company laptops it's not unusual to not be able to load programs or to have a complete record of everything you do sent back to the company everytime you log on.
My company issued laptop was so limited that I couldn't use it for much more than email. It was much more practical to give it back and buy my own. That way I could load what I needed, use it as worked best for me, and use it a downtime entertainment device. You can also spec it out the way you like. Being a field employee is very different from being an office employee which is rarely reflected, in my experience, in IT matters.
Regards,
RLS

Watch for laptop thieves. They are in every airport, just waiting for you to lay it on a baggage check counter or set it down next to you. ALWAYS keep your hands on it. Also, add an encryption software on it to protect your information. I don't travel yet at my job, but everyone I work with does. Several laptops have been stolen.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

i spent the better part of a year as a field engineer and i concluded that i was not part of society. i was constantly in a new environment (which is fun and exciting); however, there were no constant companions, friends, or social events to attend. i suppose i wanted somewhat of a social life than not.

MintJulep's comments are excellent; however, money can not buy you happiness. if you are not happy traveling & doing the job, then forget it.

as far as the accessories, your choice and frankly, not a factor for me. all you need are the tools to conduct your business. i've never had to use gps's or navigation software to find my way to work sites - some have been very remote!

regardless, good luck!

-pmover

Good advice about the laptop above.

Get one with a DVD drive and you can use it to watch movies too. If you want an iPod go for it.

I don't see the need for a GPS. A good map program should do you fine.

The less stuff you have to carry around (and potentially lose or get stolen) the better.

If you will be taking a tool set with you it will need to be checked, so you are sentenced to baggage carosel purgutory anyway. Buy the best luggage you can, and make the company pay for it. Airlines destroy luggage.

Join the Gold club for whatever car rental company you prefer. Join at least one airline lounge club and make the company pay.

I have a black "Pathfinder" expensive but good.
Put a cloth ribbon, yarn, ect. to ID your bag as it comes off the carousel. Patience will go a long way.

I watched the baggage handlers loading bags the other day from my window seat. They don't care if your bag falls, and they get upset if they grab a soft sided bag and it slips out of their hands because it is not full enough.

aeroUB:

Read this: I WANT YOUR JOB!!!

according to your description above, I wish I had your age and this great opportunity, take all advisements from the above fellas!! take care!!

This is a lot of good and interesting info guys...thanks.

One thing I would like to know more about is how to best take advantage of any and all incentives/bonuses I could rack up from all this traveling. I really don't know much about how it all works.

I could probably stay in a Holiday Inn MOST of the time and most of the time would probably fly either Southwest or United Air. I can look on their sites to see how they work specifically. But, what about Credit Cards? In my situation what ones do you think would be the best? How does it work with car rentals? Can you rack up free flights from the airlines AND from the Credit Card?

I have a feeling I'll have potential to get a ton of stuff if I go about it right. I would just like to know more about how it works and how to best take advantage of it!

Thanks for all the input
aero

Yes, you can get miles from both the airline and the CC. I would put ALL your business costs on a miles card (or other perk of your choice), and be sure to get reimbursed and pay off promptly.

BTW, I used to work "out of town", not the same as the travel you are looking at. After being gone for 6 months, in one stint, I was so stir crazy at night in the hotel, that I would have to go out driving at midnidght just to get my head stright. Keep in mind. The places you go will not allways be the fun places.

Still, you seem to have the right timing for this kind of job. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Do some research on the rewards thing. The last thing you may want is free airline tickets after flying 45 weeks out of the year! Holiday Inn has a good program that lets you get stuff for free based on points. My golf clubs are from Holiday Inn and my wife and I would eat out regularly on their restaurant gift certs. Check out American Express Rewards as well. Same type of thing. I used to Fly United, get Holiday Inn points, and pay for it all with American Express, earning points all over the place. Rental car places have similar loyalty programs but I don't remember them being that great (more like car upgrades, bypassing lines, etc...)

Sadly (and gladly) two boys have grounded me and I am home every night now. I miss some of the perks, but the boys make up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back