Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone travel A LOT for work? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroUB

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2003
US
Well, I may be getting a new job. It's for a field service engineer and would be so much more money than I'm getting now that it's making my head spin.

The catch is, it would be 100% travel. If there isn't somewhere to go then I can do what I want and still get paid 40hrs a week. 90% of the time though, there would be somewhere to go and plenty of OT (I would actually be paid hourly). MOST of the time I would fly back on Friday and head back out Sunday night. I’m figuring it would be at least 40-45 round trips a year to places all over the country maybe some outside the country. Most lasting a week and sometimes up to a few weeks. I'm 27, don’t have a gf anymore, didn't buy a house yet and really have nothing holding me down at all. So I think it would be the perfect time to try something like this and rake in some crazy money.

Does anyone travel like this or at least 50-75 % of the time? What do you think about it? Any info/suggestions you think would be interesting/useful that you wouldn't think about till you do it? They would give me a new laptop but I was also thinking I should get a portable GPS navigation unit for getting around once I fly in (to find my way to the site) and an IPOD that I can put video and songs on for the airports and flights.

Any input/insight/suggestions/stories from those of you who have ever had something like this?

Thanks
aero

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The toughest luggage I've found, if you don't mind the industrial-military styling, is the Peli Products range. Weight of the large ones is maybe 1kg heavier than an equivalent capacity Samsonite. They have proven to be fairly airline-resistant. I hesitate to say airline-proof, as that is as far-fetched as it being squaddie-proof, but these have survived pretty well. My wife hates their appearance!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Aeroub,
It looks like some posts got deleted, it may have nothing to do with the posts themselves, it may be a problem with the poster. Just fyi, this happens occsaionally and when it does it is best just to ignore it. References to deleted threads tend to be very counter productive.

David

The American Express card has a couple of fairly expensive features that are pretty worthwhile for international travel. When I pay for an overseas flight with my AmEx card I get "delay insurance" (pays for a hotel in the city where you're stranded) and "lost luggage insurance" (gives you an allowance to replace missing items so you don't have to go to your first meeting in Tevas and shorts). These options are $10 each and (if you pick this option) they get tacked on to every round-trip you use the AmEx for.

One nice thing about the frequent-flyer mileage is that you can take a spouse or friend with you to the better work destinations for free--I know a single guy who used that perk to his considerable advantage and a couple of married guys who kept their marriages alive that way.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back