Not open for further replies.

fpolito

Aug 2, 2002
CA
I am learning AutoCad v14. I have previous experience
in Catia only.

How can you rotate a model dynamically?

All I can find is that annoying tripod and the dview
function which doesn't serve my purpose.

You can pan,zoom dynamically...but where is rotate?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean "dinamically"?
When dragging or rotating, for that instance, dragmode is the variable for watching the objects look as they will when you end up the command. Set dragmode to auto.
Despite of this, if you're dragging over an image, the dragging will not become evident, until you're done.

Hope this helps,
Roberttx.

Thank you for your help, I guess I wasn't clear.

Since I posted my question, I used the command 'Orbit' in the AutoDesk product called Volo View Express. That is exactly what I want, but I can't find it in AutoCad R14.
Does it exist as a addon?

I also used '3D Dynamic View' to rotate part but there is
too many steps involved.

For example, in other Cad programs, you hold down 2nd & 3rd
mouse buttons, and as you move mouse up/down or left/right,
the model moves accordingly on the screen. This is very
convenient since when one works in 3D, Pan/Zoom/Rotate is used a great deal.

Yep, orbit appeared at first time on acad 2000. Nevertheless, it was there before, on 3dstudio viz. Acad14 doesn't have it.
But... you have dview, which is a dinamic way to look at your 3d model. Final coordinates of the model is not rotated, but the view.

You also have vpoint, which is a more static way to look at your model using angles.

Hope this helps,
Roberttx.

Up until AutoCAD got orbit, the command I'd always used was "ddvpoint".... same command mentioned earlier, just brings up a dialogue box that you pick the two angles to view from. A lot easier for me personally (and most I've talked to about it) to use, as well as more straightforward to understand than the tripod.

The tripod works well also, once you get the hang of it, but orbit works so much better. That, however, would require an upgrade.

Hi Guys,
There is a tricky solution in AutoCAD R14 and previous releases.
The DVIEW command, "CAmera" option rotates the model dynamically.
:)
Farzad

Hey,

Yup the 'camera' option is how you rotate 3D in ACAD 14. But I used to find it rather difficult to control and manage. It's was really disapointing when you want to get a nice angle.

But when ACAD 2000 came out, the orbit command was a breeze! A real advantage for 3D people like me.

I guess either upgrade or try try try!

Regards
Daniel Dorall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back