Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does B31.3 require drain lines to be pressure tested or 100% NDT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinNZ

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
Does B31.3 require all drains and other lines open to atmosphere, and no operating pressure, to be pressure tested or if you can not hydro then 100% NDT?

In our case we have an acid tank over flow line, which is piping, it is not Category D, so needs a hydro test? I guess we could do an pneumatic test. 110% of 0 design pressure = 0 bar test pressure!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NDE, hence RT, requirements depend on fluid service. Atmospheric piping may be designated Category D Fluid Service; cat D allows for 0% RT.
For leak testing; refer to para 345.1(d), which has a clause that may exempt leaktesting if a line is open to atmosphere, and downstream of the last shutoff valve.

XL83NL

The b31.3 2008 version I have (we usually use B31.1 which we have up to date) does not have 345.1(d), What does that clause say?

There is no out in 345.1 (B31.3 2008) and appendix M does not have low pressure check for Category D, just looks at weather fluid is toxic or damaging.

Kevin

Is there a specific reason you're using an older version of B31.3?
If you have a contract that specifies a certain Code edt, or a contract that's been signed just after June 2009, that would make sense.
Otherwise, you're copy is outdated and pretty much useless for future work, and you should get a new Code edition.
Where you mentioned B31.1, I assume you meant B31.3.

Kevin,

Clause (d) of 2010 edition states:
(d) Unless specified in the engineering design, lines open to the atmosphere, such as vents or drains down-stream of the last shutoff valve, need not be leak tested.

This was raised in 1983, but was only updated in the code in 2010.

Interpretation 2-31 query was on toxic liquid discharging to atmosphere and the response was:

Reply: The minimum hydrostatic test gage pressure is as calculated by Eq. 24, which for 0 psi, design pressure is O. Note that a pressure differential is required for fluid flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back