Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Halon detection system works with FM200

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtips376

Jul 22, 2005
IN
Could someone please tell me, is it possible to maintain fire detection system (i.e fire control panel, detectors) used in halon system to be reused with FM200 system.

your help will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that so long as the panel is listed for releasing service and the realeasing mechanisms are compatible with the clean agent cylinders and panel your OK. Your switching from halon to FM 200 so you will need to confirm compatibility of the fire alarm control panel with the control modules installed on the cylinders for agent release.

Based on your post I'm assuming you have verified compatibility of the nozzles for the selected hazard and design conditions and appropriate pipe sizing for your hazard?

I need to check NFPA 72 and 2001 tomorrow, and I will do that in the AM before I can offer a concrete answer. Sorry I can't do it any earlier.

You may be able to use the detectors if they are compatible with (UL and FM listed) to be used with new FM200 control panel. The new FM200 system supplier will not accept/warranty the new system with old control panel. So althogh theoratically possible, do not use the existing control panel with a new releasing system as it will not be listed for use with FM200 solenoid.

It all comes down to liability and not so much as to technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back