Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does high voltage switchboard usually arrive on site as a whole unit or as individual panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrical429

Electrical
Nov 13, 2019
GB
If you order high voltage SF6 indoor metalclad switchboard comprising several panels does it arrive on site from the manufacturer as a whole switchboard unit or as separate panels?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Mr. electrical429 (Electrical)(OP)3 Nov 21 09:30
"...If you order high voltage SF6 indoor metalclad switchboard comprising several panels does it arrive on site from the manufacturer as a whole switchboard unit or as separate panels?"
1. For (easy handling at site), it is "usually" delivered in [separate panels]. You have to (install them at site) referring to the [site installation instruction] provided by the manufacturer. Special attention shall be observed on the mechanical coupling of the busbar, between panels and earthing , electrical on interlock wiring between panels etc, if any.
2. Attention: It is better to include the installation ( an additional quotation/cost) by the manufacturer if possible; otherwise engage an experienced contractor, as you are handling MV gears.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Depends what you said on the scope of works and order and what the vendor told you in their quote.

Could be either, but tends to be delivered in pieces if you don't say otherwise.

What's SF6?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Hi electrical429

The board would normally be supplied in individual units which then require bolting together, the SF6 insulating gas you refer to is normally in the breaker unit which is sealed. The SF6 can be put into the breaker units post installation as another option. I assume the busbar chamber is air insulated?

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

is one of the worst greenhouse gasses... there will be a day to 'pay the piper'.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

When I worked for ABB a switchgear we had vacuum breakers but the bus bar chambers were air insulated, however if the bus bar chambers are SF6 then the gas will be inserted after installation.

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

If not SF6 gas, I guess we could go back to oil.

For all you who think wind and solar power is so great, it sure has increased the need for SF6 gas.

Because I don't want to be political, I want to ask for a different option. A gas or liquid that is not conductive of electric, but is conductive of heat, and is a good interrupting medium.

I've done the structural for several GIS buildings... the big advantage is the reduction in size. There is, however, a downside.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Sulfur hexafluoride on the other hand, is a really heavy gas (five times heavier than air).
Does the high specific gravity mitigate the greenhouse gas effect to any degree?
I remember installing an SF[sup]6[/sup] breaker and being warned to avoid working in nearby cable trenches if there was any indication of a gas leak.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The board is equipped with vacuum circuit breakers. Therefore busbar chamber is sf6 insulated.
Vacuum breakers do not imply SF[sup]6[/sup] insulation.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Dear Mr. electrical429 (Electrical)(OP)3 Nov 21 14:47
" ... The board is equipped with vacuum circuit breakers. Therefore busbar chamber is sf6 insulated."
1. If you are certain. Attention: Not only the busbar chamber but also the space surrounding the vacuum bottle is also filled with SF6. When the panels are delivered individually, pay extra attention on the air tightness after the installation. Observe the manufacturer's site installation instruction carefully. As SF6 is pumped in after the installation, maintain it over-pressure at all time.
2. SF6 is still widely used, as there is limited alternatives that is as good.
3. The contacts inside the vacuum breaker bottle is vacuum sealed. That has nothing to do with the outside SF6 gas.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Inhaling SF[sub]6[/sub] gas is like inhaling Helium: you voice pitch is modified. A higher pitch for He, and a lower pitch for SF[sub]6[/sub].

It was suggested to me that completely exhaling SF6 may be more difficult.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

When each section weights 2000-3000lbs it gets hard to handle a bunch of sections already joined together.

Schneider has an interesting solid insulation design that's fairly new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back