Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does impact toughness depend on diameter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMetals

Materials
Aug 22, 2014
US
If there were multiple diameters of bar made from the same heat at a mill, would the mill perform a Charpy test on each individual diameter bar or would they just test one representative sample from the entire heat/lot? Meaning would they machine the same size charpy sample from two different diameter bars from the same heat.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The mill would not perform CVN impact testing for each diameter of the same heat or any testing unless required by material specification or client requirements.

thanks, this is what I thought beforehand and was confirmed by the mill. They missed a charpy requirement and now we need to retest various heats. Thanks for the response.

It depends on materials as to the effect of diameter on toughness.
In most alloys that I work with if they tested transverse toughness on the largest diameter at midradius then I would believe it.
If this product has been cold worked or heat treated then I would require testing of every size. They were made differently and they will have different properties.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back