Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does save as pdf really work with sp2.1? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

erog

Mechanical
Oct 3, 2002
SE
Just a little check

Is it just in our office Save as pdf stopped working after installing sp2.1 (Checked several times and its not sp2.0)

We went from sp1.0 to sp2.1 and now it dosen't work:

First the progress bar, "Generating pdf" and everything looks OK but in the end we just get:

"An unknown error occurred during the creation of the pdf"

Best Regards

/Sam White

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it happening across the board on all your computers?

Have you tried my Alternative reinstall? faq559-507

I just tested it in SP2.1 and it works fine here.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

We installed sp2.1 on three workstations before we noticed the problem, two Win XP and one Win2k. The same messages on all three. :(

I will try your suggestion before reinstalling.

Best Regards

/Sam White

Check out this thread thread559-78885 May have something to do with your errors. I remember having a similar error if I didn't completely uninstall Bluebeam first. They were supposed to fix it with SP2, but it may be something that works correct from this SP on.

Good Luck!

I can confirm erog's problem. When I installed SP2.1, the save as .pdf fails every time with the message "an unknown error occured while creating the .pdf file". Lucky for me that I have Adobe on my computer and the acrobat distiller is still a choice in the printer box and it still works.

Timelord

Case you wondered, I had to delete Bluebeam from the HD and the registry before I upgraded to get it to work after the upgrade process.

-----------
Mr. Pickles

I upgraded to SW04 SP2.1 two days ago. So far no problems with saving PDF.

Question, I guess I am just curious but for the people that are having problems, Was your initial installation of SW2004 from CD or download from internet?????

After upgrading to SW2004 sp2.1 from sp1 in anticipation of a PDF Writer fix I recieved the same error message while trying to create a PDF. Solidworks and CATI were incredibly prompt with an easy solution. From Add/Remove under Solidworks click the Change button and click Repair when prompted. I use an Admin Image for an install point but you may need to have your original discs depending on your situation.

This worked for me. In a perfect world I should not have had to do this, but.... oh, well!

I just wrote some of this in another thread, but whatever.....

We did complete uninstalls on all 29 systems. Both via control panel ,regedit and manual folder removal to get everything. We installed the new Oracle/SmarTeam and SW2004. Every system was done the same using a cheat sheet with check-off boxes (took 5 people all day Saturday). Then we patched to SP2.1 yesterday once we were sure it was all behaving and to fix a smarTeam issue (we usually let them sit a while until we hear the patch is OK). Today I added PhotoWorks 2 and FeatureWorks on my system (I am the only one with these add-ins - individual licenses - from before the days of SW Office.)

Save As PDF works perfectly on all our systems. However, I would add the a few of us have full-up Adobe Acrobat and will continue to use it becuase it is MUCH faster.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

A hobbit's lifestyle sounds rather pleasant...... it's the hairy feet that turn me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back