Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does shell thickness vary in ASME Sect VIII Div. 1 U-stamped Vessel ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak1965

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2007
IN
We are getting a process column designed. Our designer says that if opt for ASME U-stamp, the thickness of shell would increase & design calculations to be done again.

My Query:

1. Do all vessels, being designed & fabricated as per ASME Sect. VIII Div.1, need U-stamp ?

2. If yes, Does it cause a variation in Design calcualtions?

3. I believe that U-stamping governs the inspection clauses to be followed as per UG 91 to UG 97 of ASME Sect. VIII Div. 1 and do not affect the design calculations.

Forum may please opine ...!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@XL83NL: I talked with my AI. If vessel has been stamped the nameplate is a code plate and the AI would have looked at it. The AI must witness the nameplate being taken off and the new one put on. You will need to fill out a form in section 5 (PART 2) of the National Board Inspection Code and submit it. The replacement must be done this way regardless of what is changing between the nameplates. The AI is fairly certain that you would need an "R" stamp to complete the process without contacting the jurisdiction board. Although, she was not able to find any part in the code stating that a "R" stamp is required.

If the vessel is not code, the HSB AI doesn't care at all. If the AI is a customer's AI just doing an inspection you would have to talk to your customer and that AI in regards to replacing a miss-print nameplate.

JakeR82, thanks again for double checking and returning with t[li]hg[/li]et changede answer.
I suspect the vessel wont get the R-stamp, as we're EU-based, and will ship it to SA.
Second, I think the NPL's wont get changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back