Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does SolidWorks need to be told more RAM is available? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

helbling34

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2009
US
Our IT manager just upgraded our workstations from 8GB to 16GB of RAM. Task manager shows only 2.5GB is being used while working with a very large assembly (5000+ components; more RAM is available but not being used.

Does Windows or SolidWorks need to be "told" that more RAM is available?

Dell Precision T1500
Core i7 processor
16GB RAM
Windows 7, 64bit
SolidWorks 2010 x64 SP 3.1

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SolidWorks does not need to be told. It uses as much as it needs.

What is your issue with SolidWorks? What problem did you try to solve by adding more RAM?

What cpu do you have in the T1500?

SolidWorks is cpu bound and gains performance with high clock speed cpu's.

The T1500 are entry level workstations and are typically not spec'ed with higher end Core i7 cpu's.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

Yes, the computer recognizes the 16GB of RAM. The cpu is an Intel Core i7, 860@2.80GHz.

My issue with SolidWorks is that it is sloooooow working with an assembly this large. We were trying to increase the speed with the RAM increase.

Thanks!

If you are running XP, some software will see that you have X GB RAM, but XP can only recognize 3GB. I have this problem and we are working to get higher ups to buy better machines.

SolidWorks does become slow with very large assemblies, BUUUUUT, it's still hundreds of times faster than 2D. Plan your mouse clicks with care, and be patient. (Not always easy to do, I'll admit.)

Uhhhh...thanks, do work for my SW reseller? :) Next I'll hear that SW 2011 is soooo much faster with assemblies. SW marketing thinks that we're all idiots.

I have heard that SW2011 is much faster with assemblies. [lol]

Seriously though, using Anna's dieholder benchmark, my time did improve by ~7% over SW2010.

Have you tried using the VM at zero?

If you want to speed up SolidWorks more RAM is not the place to spend money. You need a faster cpu.

For a point of reference go to my website and run the punch holder becnhmark. I have Google spreadsheets with results from hundreds of systems.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

I just want to chime in that Anna is 100% correct IMO and experience upgrading and spec’ing new machines. And I was at World last year and caught her live build. She’s legit [glasses]

Jack Lapham, CSWP
Engr Sys Admin
Dell M6400 Covet (24 Season 8, Ep 22)
Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz, 1066MHZ 6M L2 Cache
8.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 2 DIMM
1Gb nVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M (8.17.12.5896)
W7x64 | sw-01: 55.92
SolidWorks x64sp4 in PDMWxE

CorBlimeyLimey: Changed the VM to zero and no improvement.

I doubt that we can spend the money for new processors so additional patience will be required.

As I watch task manager, I'm having trouble believing that it's the CPU's. The reading never gets over 25%. Is SolidWorks just a dog when it comes to large assemblies?

helbling34,

Your CPU is probably quad-core. Since SWX is not multithreaded it cannot get much advantage directly from the multiple cores. Thus one core is executing SWX and is maxed out, but your entire machine might then be only using 25% of its CPU capacity.

- - -Updraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back