Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does SolidWorks need to be told more RAM is available? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

helbling34

Mechanical
Jan 4, 2009
US
Our IT manager just upgraded our workstations from 8GB to 16GB of RAM. Task manager shows only 2.5GB is being used while working with a very large assembly (5000+ components; more RAM is available but not being used.

Does Windows or SolidWorks need to be "told" that more RAM is available?

Dell Precision T1500
Core i7 processor
16GB RAM
Windows 7, 64bit
SolidWorks 2010 x64 SP 3.1

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you run the punch holder benchmark like I suggested?

How fast did it run the test?

Any cpu that runs the test faster then yours as listed in the Google spreadsheet of results is what you want.

You will have to see what cpu you can get to upgrade your T1500 from Dell. Unfortunately your options may be limited with that model of workstation. That is a low end entry level system for doing AutoCAD mainly. You are doing higher end work, expecting higher end speed, with a budget system.

How much did you spend on the T1500? How much is the company willing to spend for better performance? Do you have to buy Dell or can you build your own?

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

Just ran the benchmark. 67.94 seconds. I'll compare this with the spreadsheet. I didn't specify the workstations that we use-our IT manager did so I'm not sure about system cost, how much more we can spend, or if we're locked into Dell. Our current machines are not very old so I have my doubts.

Just ran the benchmark. 67.94 seconds. I'll compare this with the spreadsheet. I didn't specify the workstations that we use-our IT manager did so I'm not sure about system cost, how much more we can spend, or if we're locked into Dell. Our current machines are not very old so I have my doubts.

Just because you're running Windows 7 doesn't mean you're running 64-bit Windows 7! Check and make sure you are.

For mega assemblies, you may need to simplify things. Ie, are you using complex helical screw models, or simple geometry? Look at overall complexity of the parts.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

67 seconds is not bad for speed.

I would be taking a good look at modeling technique if assemblies are slow while you are working on them.

Describe exactly what tasks are slow when working on your assemblies?

Also what video card did you have in your system? Are you using an approved video card driver for your system from the SolidWorks website?

We need more detail to pinpoint where your issues are and possible solutions.

Anna Wood
Xeon W3680, Nvidia Quadro 4000, 12 Gb RAM, WD Velociraptor, Dell U3011 Monitor
SW2011 SP1, Windows 7 x64

helbling34,

If you can identify several parts that you suspect may require a significant chunk of time you can open those parts and go to Tools -> Feature Statistics. This will list the features first that require the most time to generate. Often this will reveal something that could be amiss or for that matter might be a good candidate to be suppressed or otherwise simplified.

- - -Updraft

The one thing I didn't see (maybe I am blind) that should have been asked.

Are you opening the files over your network?

If so, then your network could actually be your bottle neck and slowing you down. Best way to test to see if it your bottle neck is to copy your files to your local box and open it there (use Pack and Go to get all the files to your box).

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Berry Plastics
Cad Admin\Design Engineer
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Good question...

...Are you opening the files over your network?

Running a PDM client like Enterprise and caching your files locally while you work... is... H-U-G-E. Especially on large assemblies.

And Updraft's assembly feature statistics is a phenomenal troubleshooter to determine where all your overhead is coming from (modeling threads, knurling, and other tedious minutiae can be malignant for a large assembly).

Our most recent builds were Dell T5400’s which after our sizeable corp discount came in around $2.2k. Purchasing justifications are easy when the old machine takes 120 seconds to run Anna’s punch and the new machine comes in at 59 seconds. For a more exhaustive benchmark you can run sw-01.

Albeit entry level, your machine scored 68 seconds on the press - that’s very respectable. I would look at your statistics and if you are [most unfortunately] accessing data directly off a server I would suggest doing some time studies with your current assembly, in its current location (how long to open? How long to force rebuild or other such action that is excruciatingly long). Then pack-n-go the whole thing to your local drive [temporarily] and perform the same tests. We did this at my last company and it lead to the justification of PDM.

Lastly I wouldn’t blame this on SolidWorks. All 3D modelers choke on large assemblies and even AutoCAD [2D] can start falling apart on a large plant layout.

Jack Lapham, CSWP
Engr Sys Admin
Dell M6400 Covet (24 Season 8, Ep 22)
Intel Core 2 Duo T9800, 2.93GHz, 1066MHZ 6M L2 Cache
8.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 2 DIMM
1Gb nVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M (8.17.12.5896)
W7x64 | sw-01: 55.92
SolidWorks x64sp4 in PDMWx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back