Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the angle of a drive train effect the efficiency of energy transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamdaaman

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2018
GB
export_melmjj.png

If the angle of a drivetrain in a bicycle becomes steeper - ie 65degrees, will it become less efficient in comparison to normal flat drivetrain?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

well, you didn't ask "is the difference negligible?"; you asked "is there a difference?"

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

So if we angle the chain downwards rather than upwards the efficiency will increase?
Seems a bit unlikely. It is also unlikely that in the real world exactly horizontal is optimal, due to second order effects.

Of course one minute's experiment (and several hours of setting up) would solve this angels dancing on a pinhead question.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I am assuming that you are referring to a real bicycle in contrast to an exercise bicycle. In my estimation, with a real bicycle, there could a difference in the performance between the two configurations IF the center of gravity of the entire system were to shift toward the rear wheel( assuming the rear wheel is on the left side of the sketch). More weight on the rear wheel, to which the left sprocket would be at it center, means a greater frictional force between wheel and pavement; but that could be offset by a lesser weight on the front wheel depending on frame design, therefore the overall energy expanded would or not remain the same.

I am clarifying what was posted on the thread. Both questions would provide a valuable answer to what I'm trying to find out.

After reading thru this very entertaining exercise I am reminded of an old story. This seems to be the engineer's version of the ancient theological argument of how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. Some precise formulas might show some miniscule difference depending completely on the beginning assumptions one makes, but in the real world there will be no measurable (read: noticeable) difference whatsoever.

In the idealized frictionless world, there will be absolutely no difference at all ... so it comes down to how good your chain is and how good your bearings are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back