Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dog kennel waste system 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yawp1

Petroleum
May 13, 2008
VI
I am currently designing a working dog kennel for the local police dept. All ten runs will have sloped floors to a gutter equipped with a floor drain. I am contemplating not installing traps at each floor drain. The only trap and vent will be at the termination of each of the building drains on either side of the kennel building. My thinking is that this will prevent sewer gases from coming back into the system. We will be using a public sewer if permitted. I am concerned, that if I trap each floor drain, maintaining clear drains could be an issue. On the other hand, we could be asking for odor problems if we do not trap. Any experience or knowledge of these issues?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is really up to the locak AHJ. Run your project by him and see what he will allow.

The plumbing code usually requires a p-trap at each floor drain. Requiring a trap at each drain also means a vent to each drain.

The option of a master trap for a group of drains is not allowed by code since code assumes the waste from the drains is itself dirty, thus the requirement for p-traps on indirect wastes over 5 feet.

Drainage from the run usually goes into a gutter across the end of the run.

Some other details:

I am aware of the plumbing code issues. I am detailing based on military design guides for working dog kennels. They show schematics of floor drains without traps and vents as if it was a gutter with a cover. What's the difference? I believe code would allow the gutter situation as long as it was trapped before going into the main sewer. I can just see these guys trying to force hair and feces thru all the traps without benefit of some flushing water head. At any rate, unless I get other input, from a liability standpoint, traps and vents rule.

Understood. Sometimes there is more art and local preference than what is actually required by a code. The local definer of the code is the AHJ. Having him sign off prior to construction eliminates a potential construction delay.

Most kennels have a sloped floor leading away from the main building. All waste and water flows into a single gutter that slopes down to a single drain. No pipes or drains are used in the kennels.

With this system the kennels can be cleaned with a pressure hose - and all wastewater flows into the single gutter. Finally the gutter is hosed down into the single drain at the end of the gutter (which would need a P-trap.)

Waste from a single kennel is not going to flow into a center drain by gravity. And you layout would require the keeper to walk around the kennel to hose down the waste to the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back