Doing multiple analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

arigato

Civil/Environmental
May 26, 2005
US
Hey all,

I have to create alot of small models which deal with seismic behavior. Im using plastic hinges to take care of the nonlinear material properties in my models. Is there any way to avoid having to create a seperate model or physically assign a different hinge value to my members every time i want to run a model with a new hinge value? I basically want to automate the creation of all these models and the assignment of hinge values and earthquake records and then use the batchfile command to run all these files. I tried modifing the input file that is associated to a SDB file, but when i run the file The input file gets written over with the data from the sdb file so i know that doesnt work. Any thoughts would help.

AR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Under File menu > Batch file control you can set up to run multiple jobs all in one analysis. You could export one model to .s2k and copy it, then modify the Frame assignments for hinge in order create several batch files. I believe you can do this by making copies of your model in either .sdb or .s2k and running them using the Batch file control

I tried your idea but it didnt work. I can't open a SDB file to modify it with a text editor, and the batch file control will only run files that are actual sdb files. Exporting to a .s2k file and changing the extension to sdb doesnt work either. What I did was take the input .$2k file and modify that, then import it into sap2000 and save the file so that a corresponding sdb file is created. I found this to be easier than importing a s2k file since any time records that are specified in an analysis are copied into the s2k file itself, making the creation of a sdb file from a s2k file a little more tedious. Doing the same from a $2k file doesnt copy the record itself but saves a link location of where that record is if you havent converted it to a user defined record. The resulting $2k file is much smaller and opens quicker in SAP.

Now if there was a way to open and save files automatically say from a list I would be sitting pretty. Im almost done writing a small program that updates input files automatically. All thats left is to import the files and save them.

Thanks for the help it was worth a try in anycase.

Is anyone familiar with nonlinear modal time histor (FNA). I need to model the gravity load across a nonlinear link and need to understand FNA better.

Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back