Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Domestic Water Lateral for Irrigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydefan

Civil/Environmental
Dec 14, 2004
US
I have not worked on many civil engineering projects that involved domestic water lines, so I have a very basic question. I am designing a parking lot that requires irrigation lines for landscaping. My landscape architect is designing the irrigation lines, so all I need to provide him is something for him to tie his line into. There is an existing 16" domestic water line in the adjacent street that I plan on connecting a service lateral to. What information do I need my landscape architect to provide me, and what else do I need on my service lateral (meter, backflow assembly, pressure reducing assembly, etc?

Thanks,

Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jeff,

sfritten was right that you need to check with the local water district or if it is under the city's jurisdiction, city water department. The landscape architect just needs to give you the size of meter and service connection he needs. If it is a parking lot you will probably need between a 1" to 2" service connection, backflow device & meter. Most water departments have typical details or standard plans that you can get a copy of and refer to on your plan. Then submit your plan to the water department for approval. Just so you know the meter will probably need to be in the public right-of-way so that it can be read by a water department employee. The backflow device will need to be located within 10' feet behind the property line. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions on this topic. I've done this countless times in the past.

Canman

I'd put in a line large enough for the bldg. and the irrigation use. You will have only one meter. The connection to the irrigation service will need a vac. breaker. If you can get a deduct from sewer rates for water used for irrigation, then put in the meter for the irrigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back