Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Don't Laugh...Anyone ever been asked to design a Yurt?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyH76

Structural
Mar 14, 2006
US
Has anyone ever been asked to design a yurt? I have a client that needs a certified design on a yurt. The building department is requireing a sealed set of drawings. The building is 30' in diameter. I am having a little trouble with the wind loading and the whole wall system. Google Yurst and look at the wall system its made of 1"x2" crossing members pinned together....Would you look at doing this kind of design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at some of the approved yurt designs for use in the parks and other areas of the western U.S. They may give you some insight into the structural systems used since many are quite authentic and do meet the local requirements and loadings.

You may be faced with the classic problem of trying to prove that something that works and has long term performance can be rationalized and meet the current code requirements. Much depends on whether you have to be authentic or can adjust the design to comply with current design methods/practices.

If you see any photos, be aware that some of the interior elements may be more ornamentation than structurally functional. Yurts were originally a temporary structure (centuries ago), but the one I was in (Mongolia) had been there for over 150 years.

Dick

It looks like there are manufacturer's that supply pre-designed yurt structures. Is it possible for you to just write a performanced based spec for one? Similar to a pre-engineering building structure?

I seem to recall a past article in structure mag or similar regarding a timber building designed using crossed timbers on the flat.

If you can find that article then it may point you in the right direction with regards to design method.

Possible you could analyse it as a tube and then convert the tube stresses into loads on the slats.

A bit of lateral thinking and first principles required, but I can visualise how it could be done.

Very interesting problem!

If you're dealing with an existing structure which has (past-tense) already survived for quite some time, the Canadian Building Digest's CBD-230 may be your answer. It is essentially a guideline on how to rationally argue that your building is "field tested", assuming an undeteriorated condition of the structural system. Available online at: irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd230_e.html

Now, you COULD argue along similar lines regarding the performance of such a system given the long, well extablished, record of performance of these buildings on the stepps. However any building official who questions you automatically wins as you will have no real evidence of the long term in-service behaviour without doing alot more research.

Good luck!

YS

P.S. Love a challenge, and this would be great. That said, and along the lines of akastud's comment, I'd be charging by the hour!

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

Great little structures - had tea in a few back in our days in Xinjiang China - up near Heavenly Lake (Fukang area). Always thought that a neat "house" would be to have three or 4 of them clustered with covered walkways between them.
Can't help you on the design, per se, but they've been around a lot longer than any of your city building inspectors!!!

My neighbour makes yurts for private individuals using Hazel branches for the cross members and canvas for the covering (rather than animal skin on the traditional ones). He supplies then with a small wood burner made from a gas cylinder for extra cost. Great structures.

BigH,

My wife (an architect turned SAHM) keeps saying we should build a yurt to live in. I think she became interested while in china as well. I'll have to ask her where she was.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

How about building it to look like a yurt but you dont build it like a traditional yurt? Just do a round top plates and wrap coil strap (one piece) around the perimeter of the yurt's top plates to take care the thrust. I dont think you would get enough R value from 1x2 wall.

Not almost anymore! :)

So, is the OP's need to provide a plan for a yurt as a residence, or as a temporary shelter, or as a permanent recreational shelter (e.g. garden pergola).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back