Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Doorway Openings in Existing Tiltup Walls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM1

Structural
Dec 16, 2001
US
I have to detail an opening in an existing tiltup (two story building).
As yet, the locations are not known but i think they will be about 10 feet wide.

I have thought of two senarios,

1-the opening falls within the width of the panel,
2- the opening falls at the joint between two adjacent panels

I am a "non-building" structural person. So, I would really appreciate it if anyone wants to share an experience or suggest a reading source, codes..etc.

Many thanks.

FM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have inserted a plate as tension reinforcing previously, or a toes up channel... But 10 feet is a fairly significant opening! You might want to just frame it out with a welded steel frame, packed into the cavity with dry pack.

Also bear in mind the bearing during construction! (Pun intended)

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

On larger openings I have framed behind the panel using T.S.'s bolted into the panel. The size and number of bolts for the columns based upon VQ/I (to account for wind or seismic) and the bolts for the cross beam based upon the gravity load involved.

For the opening at the joint between the panels, make sure that the panel is bearing on a continuous footing and not sitting on individual spot footings (or if it is, make sure there is enough of the panel left sitting on the spot footing to handle the vertical load.

In either scenerio, the amount of panel remaining must be sufficient to handle the gravity load (unless you provide another arrangement to support the gravity loads) and the additional framing supplied would be designed to handle the lateral load.

Since , in tilt up, the walls generally provide the lateral stability for the structure, make sure there is enough panel left for your lateral loads.

I hope you are trying to do this on your own, without an engineer! Before you detail it, get a structural engineer involved. He can give you direction on what is required. The previous comments are things that your structural engineer need to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back