Doppler Radar Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morcego

Industrial
Apr 11, 2005
PT
Hi,
1st, please excuse me if this is on the wrong forum.

I need speed detector to a costumer of mine. It needs to detect cars moving at speeds up to 200kmH in a highway.

I had found some im the market like Falcon-LC, but it costs about 500USD. Can anyone point me to a cheaper solution? It must have a single output to drive a microprocessor. The most common is KPH to frequency. This will do the trick.

Thanks in advance.

M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Industrial radar devices are sold for industrial prices. $500 is very reasonable as the ones used by police cost more than this.

Mattel (toy maker) just came out with a radar gun. Stripped of the accuracy, power, and quality of a commercial unit, and made in huge volumes, the cost is around $35. However, I don't think it'll meet your 200 kph needs.

Have you seen the speed limit signs with the "Your speed is xx mph" display below the posted speed limit?

The radar sensor used on those appears to be slightly smaller than a CD, and about 6 mm thick. Possibly this is the Falcon "Basic" model.

You're more likely to get an output of pulses per distance, as from the Tescon unit that utilizes a Kustom Signals police radar gun. It's output is around 161 pulses/meter.

This unit will easily go to 200 kph, but has very serious problems with signal dropouts at speeds less than 15 mph.

And it costs a great deal more than $500!

Thanks guys. I had no Idea of the cost of such a unit. The price was imposed by the costumer.. 200 kph limit is teorical.. In fact the purpose is to fire up warning lights everytime a car passes at more than 140 kph (Highway legal limit in my country). I know that a 35$ and 59$ units seems in fact like toys, but sometimes we get suprised... I think I will give it a try... Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back