Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Double Angle Shear Connection at Braced Frame - to Column Web or Flange

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack36

Structural
May 20, 2009
US
I'm trying to decide on the orientation of my wide flange columns for a project. I plan to use all-bolted, double-angle connections for wide flange girders to wide flange columns. I have some chevron bracing connecting into these joints also. The columns only have girders framing into them from opposite sides, except at corners, and the braced frame will only be on one side of any column. The columns do not have out-of-plane loading from girts or anything. Do you most commonly frame into the column web or flange, why? Here are some of my thoughts:

1. Connecting to the column web will reduce eccentricity, but this is not an issue with similarly loaded beams on both sides of the column.
2. Framing into the web will produce a double connection and will require sequencing to meet OSHA requirements (erection seat or extended angle on one side).
3. My beam will fit within the W12 column flanges, but it will be tight.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Orient the column so that the braced frame connects to the flange. Based on what you said it your message, it sounds like you are heading in that direction. Bracing connections can get pretty big. It is much easier to frame all of that stuff to the flange. Imagine you are an ironworker. Which way would you have wanted the engineer to orient the column?

It depends on a lot. Sounds like just an OCBF with tension-only bracing ... correct? In any case, I personally would prioritize the lateral system over the gravity system and run the double angle braces into a single plate gusset welded to the flange and centered on the web. I would also brace the columns perpendicular to the braces.

Connect your braces to the flanges of the columns. Despite what we all learned in statics, fit up is very important and eccentricity is altogether manageable.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

Thanks for the input. This confirms what I have been doing, but I started second guessing myself upon seeing several jobs lately that had girders connected to the column web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back