Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double Groove Welding and ASME Section IX-00

Status
Not open for further replies.

rms1956

Materials
Jul 23, 2001
US
I've got a double groove weld. P No 43 material. Iv'e got to get it tested to ASME section IX-00 according to the client. Does ASME Section IV-00 support double groove welding? Its a big document but I'm not sure if they make a reference to it and I can't find any drawings in it that depict a double "V".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Joint design is not an essential variable for ASME SC IX except for some very specialized processes like electroslag, electrogas, or laser welding. If you already have a procedure qualified for welding P-No.43 materials with any other full penetration joint, you are already qualified to make the weld. There are no sketches of joints in SC IX -- the details of joints are up to the welding engineer and you can use any joint configuration you need. Joint restrictions will be in the applicable design and fabrication Section of the Code -- Section I, III, IV, or VIII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back