Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double-logarithm plotting charts 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubailcity

Electrical
May 27, 2003
We need to plot customized protection curves on TCC charts and would appreciate links to download blank double-logarithm charts.
Thank you all for your assistance.
GAC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I have not done it myself, I heard from my colleagues that you can create this from Excel spreadsheet program, a much easier way to do this.

Have you considered buying a TCC coordination software ? They make things a lot easier as they have tons of device tcc data sheets readily stored already. Do a Google search you will find plenty of them.

I also heard that the points you plotted in the Excel program can be exported into these commercial tcc softwares.

Good luck.

If you haven't got the kind of money required for a half-way decent TCC package which is actually easy to use, EXCEL is very good. A few macros, drop down lists etc and you can have any number of pre-programmed curves. I've also used mathcad- allows you to do the setting calcs much more easily (in plain maths, not cell reference juggling) and then plot the curves directly.

A nice extension if you use mathcad is to set it up to import the comtrade record of a fault and confirm the tripping times (by eg modelling the disk movement of an induction disk relay). Haven't seen any commercial TCC software that can do that (for less than the price of an arm and a leg).

Bung
Life is non-linear...

Jubailcity, I have an AutoCAD script file that draws the complete K&S style graph from an old DOS version of TCCurve which is what you need, if you have AutoCAD. Will this help?

DanDel is it possible get a copy of your AutoCAD file? If so I would appreciate it. My e-mail is umrpwr@hotmail.com

It is my understanding that the company that used to manufacture the paper is no longer in business. I was told that by a friend at the utility company after they bought out after all of the stock. Anyway somtimes it is easier to do curves by hand if they are only a few. Excel works okay also as long you use the log scale, but for doing a lot coordination software is still the way to go.

Thanks,

umrpwr

DanDel, thank you for the script offer, it will certainly help me since I have access to Auto CAD.
Bung, thank you for your comments, Mathcad 7 is the latest version I remember using for creating and plotting custome curves (unfortunately, no longer have access), among known commercial packages such as Dapper, EDSA and DIGSI. Excel did not give me nice times, perhaps I was not brave enough to solve the problem.
Thank you all for your contributions with tips and links.

Hello!

DanDel, will appreciate if you can put in a website that file for downloading. currently we are doing protection coordination.

Jubailcity, the DIGSI you mentioned is from Siemens?

thanks for your response.

DanDel, please use this email address: dcoclg@dalmine.it and thank you again for the script file.
dafo74, yes, it is from Siemens (DIGital SIemens, I guess)
jlazucena & DiscoP, thank you for your inputs.

Suggestion: In some instances, the K&E 48-5258 Form is required, e.g. for some plotters, e.g. HP TC Plotter
Also, see Figure 15-9 in Reference:
IEEE Std 399-1997 Brown Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back