Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double-motor gear drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparr

Chemical
Jul 30, 2003
US
I have an application where I need to supply 75 watts of power to a gear from a DC brush commutated motor-driven pinion. However, I cannot fit a 75 watt motor into the available space. I can fit two 45 watt motors into the space, with both motors driving the gear with identical pinions. The motors would be located on opposite sides of the gear, 180 degrees apart. I can electrically drive the motors in parallel or in series from the same current source. This is a velocity controlled system only. No positioning.

Has anyone done this or seen it done? Are there any problems?

Thanks
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the big issues with arrangements as you have described is timing - unless the two pinions are sychronized problems can arise with only one driving or even worse with one driving and one being driven!

We have driven HD valve actuators with double AC and DC gearmotors. The unifying feature is a bull gear on the output shaft driven by both drives.

Thanks for the posts!
Plasgear: Do you run your DC motors from the same current/voltage drive? If so, are the motors wired in series with each other or in parallel?
Thanks
John

Two motor drives per axis are common in radio astronomy. They are primaraly used to improve the antenna's pointing accuracy. By controlling both servo motors at the same time and adding a small bias current to one of the motors the reduction gears are preloaded. By tuning the bias current one can make a very stiff system. The trade off is gear wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back