Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

double random pipe availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmorin

Mechanical
Aug 16, 2004
US
The unit I'm designing requires a minimum number of welds and therefore there is a strong preference for double random (40 ft - 12m) nominal piping.

I'm talking pipe sizes 1"-4" - some in schedules other than STD or XS.

My projects can be fabbed in the US, Korea or Europe.

Over the past couple years, it seems that our suppliers, no matter the location, are having more & more difficulty providing double randoms.

Does anyone out there know of a shift in pipe manufacturing that would make double random less common or is my recent experience just due to some of the oddball schedules I ask for???

Thanks

Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sizes I was looking for on this project were:
- 1-1/4” Sch. 80 (I wasn't surprised by this one)
- 3” Sch. 80 (I was able to find this one)
- 1” Sch. 160 (This one surprised me)
All in A106 Carbon steel

I'm buying small quantities 250 ft or less on each - maybe that's the problem, but this is typical of my recent experience trying to get double random pipe on the spot market. You find one or two sizes, but can't get another.

Note that I'm not flexible on wall thickness. Internal area / velocity is critical for my process.

I was wondering if there had been something like a shift to overseas production that would explain a recent change in availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back