Double split on a single part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondcat

Automotive
Aug 21, 2002
US
SWX 2007

I have a rectangular part which is 1"x1"x7". Picture it standing on end, so it is 7" tall.
I need to split this part twice so that it ends up in three pieces.
I would like the first split to make the top a seperate body that is 1"x1"x1". I have managed to do this fine.
Now I would like to take the leftover bottom body (which is now 1"x1"x6") and split that the long way so that I get two pieces that are .5"x1"x6". I can't find a way to do this and not also split my top body.
I hope this makes sense, there is probably a simple answer but I'm just not finding it.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are trying to split the part?

Are you using the Split tool in the Features toolbar?

With this tool, you just select the cutting plane and bodies you wish to split.

[cheers]

I may be wrong, but the problem with planes in this specific instance is that they're infinite, which results in the top body being split into two bodies. Generating a surface(s) allows more control of the resultant bodies.

CorBlimeyLiney
I am trying to use the Split command on the features toolbar but as Dgowans pointed out, the problem is that I was trying to use planes and they are infinite so they wetn right through my top part.

Dgowans
I never use surfaces so I didn't think to use those. Your part is exactly what I was trying to do.

As always, everyone here was a great help!
Thanks

dgowans said:
I may be wrong...[/quote dgowans]

And in fact I am.

I didn't realize the split tool worked quite that way. I rarely use it and incorrectly thought that not selecting a body when creating the split would lead to that body going away.

I'd give you a star, but you know how I feel about that...

Hmmm, I was trying to use the split with planes but didn't see the option of selecting which bodies to cut. Is it possible that it is a new 2008 function? or I just missed it.
I tried opening the file you attached but I am still on 2007 so it won't let me.

Sorry, complete operator error.
I thought when you checked the boxes at the bottom is would save them to an external file.
Couldn't be much easier.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back