Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double tubesheet exchangers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrproe

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2007
IN
Hi all,
Can anybody throw some light on the applications of double tubesheets in shell and tube exchangers?
I specifically want to know about the process conditions which might require the use of double tubesheets.

I would appreciate if some of you could share some reference material on the subject.

Regards,
Starrpore

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi starrproe,

Double tubesheet heat exchangers or as well called Double tube technology heat exchangers are usually used when the contamination between the handled fluids has to be avoided. So any eventual leak can be detected using a suitable leackage connection which can cause a signal alarm while the the process plant can continue to operate until the next scheduled maintenance routine.

For additional detaild about, I suggest you to visit the following web site
Cheers

I second Simdro's response -- double wall tubing with some sort of leak detection to keep the shell-side and tube-side fluids safely apart even if a tube leak happens. Can't comment on the website.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Applications for double tubesheet heat exchangers include radioactive/contaminated liquids. Spent fuel pool cooling in a nuclear power plant might be one example

Use of double tubesheet HXs implies that an active leak detection system is also included. There are many types of this system.

Double tubesheet HXs are very difficult to repair...

My opinion only

-MJC

I have actually seen these DTS with double tube heat exchangers to heat domestic water, usually with high temperature hot water recirculating system....

We have used double tubesheets in custom bayonet heaters for our customers. These are more easily repaired/replaced in instances where downtime is not acceptable. It is our usual practice to supply two tube units with each vessel for quick change and minimum downtime.

Our local codes require double tubesheets on DHW heat exchangers. Must keep the boiler additives from the drinking water.

Double tubesheets are used on Hydrofluoric Acid Alkylation unit steam heaters, where cross-contamination from a roll leak would dilute the acid and make it much more corrosive downstream. They normally do not have elaborate leak detection between the tubesheets - just a sealing strip between the tubsheets and a pressure gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back