Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Double V weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenB

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2003
US
Sirs;
Two weld procedures are used for double V on a cylindrical shell: SMAW one side and GMAW other side,
Is it consider a combination weld?

genb

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mr. AI,
Can you tell me why and how, and where can I find it within the Code?.- The first is welded with backing which is the
base metal, the second is also welded with backing and in this case the weld backing.

thanks, genb

GenB;
If you deposit a double or even single vee groove full penetration weld with two different welding processes, this can be done using one WPS (combination process) or with two separate WPS's.

After one side of the weld is completed with SMAW , you back grind into sound weld metal, and deposit the remaining weld using GMAW. This is no different than a single vee, open root butt weld where the root is deposited using GTAW and the remaining weld is completed using SMAW. The SMAW is welded with GTAW backing.

Dear GenB. metengr answer is exaustive. Just for sake of precision the first weld has not base metal as backing material but it is considered with backing because double side welded (Ref.Sect.IX: QW-310.2 and QW-402.4). All the best. Mauro

Metengr,
I am doing just that: using one WPS for each side, but I have an issue with the AI who is sure tat I need a combination procedure, not only a paperwork combination WPS but one WPS with a combination PQR
If it was one side only I agree taht a test my be needed but for 2 sides I do not agree.
I have to look at sec IX very careful to see where the combination test is needed.

Acording to you I can get away with two tests but I already argued with the AI and the result was that things have changed.
I will look further into the matter and advise of the findings.
Thanks for your help.

GrnB,
Refer to QW-200.4; "More than one WPS having different essential, supplementary essential or nonessential variables may be used in a single production joint."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back