Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

downsize digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oconner512

Automotive
Jun 18, 2006
CA
Hi I have a 10 megapixel digital camera i was wondering if i can take the ccd off and connect it to the camera with wires about 1 foot long so the lense and ccd can be the size of one small like those small spy cameras but i need to use this camera because of the high resolution.
any thoughts on this would be apreciated
thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A 10Mpixel CCD isn't going to be spy camera sized (expect at least a 1/2" to 1" chip) once you put the proper lensing and protection around it. Once you add the proper electrical drivers (which should be near the chip itself), the board is going to grow in size.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

other than the battery chamber, most modern digital cameras are miniaturized to the max. High speed readout from the image sensor is desired, particularly with the higher density pixel count. This is supported by traces that are thin and short.

I have mounted Canon's imaging elements (sensor/lense) along with the camera's circuit boards to articulated arms. These devices are powered by and communicate with the USB subsystems. Good to 30'. From there a microcontroller provides the operational functions, along with RF transmitter/reciever, which amoung other things controls some basic camera functions.

These units implement still image, how ever movie mode can be triggered local to the camera subsystem. Bandwidth constraints prevent streaming with anything but the lowest res settings.

The answer is "so much that you might as well use a 640x480 camera," and "you're certainly not going to get 0.09 mil resolution at 5 inches."

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back