Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Downstream consequences of flashing through a globe valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuntz

Chemical
Mar 16, 2008
US
I have a situation where where water will flash through a globe valve to an an open basin downstream. There will be some piping downstream of the valve before emptying into the basin. What (if any) are the issues I need to consider with regards to the downstream piping arrangement?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As hsbcn points out, you can find a lot of information using the search function incorporated in this siteand this forum.

Essential here is for you (as always), purpose, flow and pipieline details. The more spesific question, the more specific answers you will get.

I also observe that the thread from hsbcn does not mention solution of the cavitation problem using other types of valves then globevalves, and alternative solutions for larger diameters (above 4") that possibly could be of interest.

Thread below points to RKV needle valves (wide regulation without cavitation, the factory has to advice on solution and dimension, with air inlet if pipieline after valve. See also double eccentric ball-valves, outlet without regulation. (Competitors have similar solutions for both types.

High pressure drop creates flashing and cavitation relevant with fluid vena-contract. so controlling them by using step wise trim or external sleeve design internal parts.They cannot eliminate but you can control them.

My Motto: Keep calm and never give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back