Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dp = 45 psig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapetotape

Automotive
Dec 11, 2002
US
operating load = maximum instant demand = 200 mbtu/h, flow = 10,00 gpm, delta p = 45 psig (pipe size 20")
This is how the requirement appears for required supplied hot water to building and process ASH. Any easy way to convert this to psi? What is PSIG anyway? Temp in is (F) 200, out 160.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope I understood your question correctly.

PSIG is gauge pressure in psi. Gauge pressure (in psi or psig - the units are identical) plus local atmospheric pressure equals absolute pressure in psi (or psia). Most times one must be careful to understand whether they're working in psia or psig.

The "g" in psig (or the "a" is psia) really has no meaning when talking about a differential pressure.

That said, if your looking to convert the psig to psi for your differential pressure, there's no more work to do. Your differential pressure is 45 psi.

thanks hokie.
that's what i thought and what i feared. they didn't account for enough pressure drop at point of use. now once again i have to tap dance around a pile of crap and convince the customer that he's smelling roses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back