Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dp losses in a washing tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicorvp

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
US
I have a plain baffle type plates (shower deck) tower.

How can I estimate pressure drop of a gas flowing across the descending blade of water knowing the blade height?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nicorvp:

You don't say why you need to estimate the pressure drop. Is it to design the appropriate tower? Or is it to estimate the pressure drop in an existing tower?

Like yourself, I was once saddled with such type of towers - they were strippers. I had to modify one tower for additional capacity, keeping the same, simple horizontal &quot;baffle&quot; plate as the basis. I estimated the pressure drop from empirical field data as 1&quot; WC per pass. I remember that I got very close to the actual result on the finished product. As I recall, the vapor velocity through the falling &quot;sheet&quot; of liquid was estimated at approximately <5 ft/sec. My tower was working at 5 psig and had 12 plates.

I have never succeeded in finding a relationship or method of calculating the pressure drop for such an operation and all the people I asked at the time just estimated it from previous experience.

Sorry I can't give you what you probably are looking for, but I hope the above helps you out.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back